Notices

Telling on myself

Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling on myself

Hey all,
I have to share what happened because I am feeling like a mean person. A close of friend of mine (we met in AA) drank last night. I feel mean because I have seen it coming for about a month now and when I received her message that she drank I immediately felt bad for her but my next thought was "I knew it!" Who do I think I am? It was not a hard thing to figure out...she stopped coming to meetings, was fantasizing about drinking, having a pity party every day. This is what WE DO as alcoholics before we drink. It happens first in our mind. Anyway, I did tell her I saw the warning signs so I don't feel bad about that---I would want someone to be honest with me as well and call me out on my ism behavior. I can't share this in a meeting because people will know who I am talking about so I am sharing it here. I need to remain humbled, realize that I am not a freaking know it all ( I in reality do know this but my attitude seems off). I am too early in sobriety to start seeing feeling like "I told you so". God grant me the serenity, thanks for listening!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're not mean, just because you saw it coming. In the early days I feared for my friends sobriety and I would read too much into some things. To me, your insight shows that you really are in tune with what is needed to stay sober and what signs to look out for in yourself, if you feel you are slipping.

Even if you had pointed out some signs to your friend, they may not have listened or denied it. Each journey is personal and you can really only deal with your own sobriety in the first year, at least.

Hope you feel better for sharing here.

S x
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure you need to feel badly about this.
It was a thought/feeling, not an action, and you checked yourself.

The ability to see the warning signs might be a helpful skill to have.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words guys I do feel a little better sharing it here. The great news is, I heard from my friend and she went to a meeting and is getting right back on the wagon!