Notices

No Booze for 66 days, am i really an alcoholic?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Booze for 66 days, am i really an alcoholic?

Im confused as to wether i really do have a drink problem if i can go this long without a drink. I have had thoughts of going out for just '' a few'' but so far have thought better of it. Maybe its not been long enough and i might have stronger cravings a few months down the line. I must admit sometimes i think my thoughts are trying to trick me into thinking maybe my drinking wasnt as bad as i thought. I've also started to think maybe i could try and drink responsibly and just limit to 5 or 6 beers, but why would i think this when i know i cant moderate? Its like a part of my brain wants booze but the other half dosnt. I dont mean to sound crazy but this is just something i wanted to get off my chest.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People who drink responsibly don't drink 5-6 beers.

I'm not going to call you an alcoholic but your thinking is just like mine.

Good luck.

Bob R
Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was always led back to the same answer. The difficulties surrounding my drinking became larger and more detrimental. I am an Alcoholic.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately alcoholism is a disease that tells you that you don't have a disease, over and over in your ear. The fortunate amongst us realise it before too much harm is done - but you still only realise when you realise, if that makes sense xxx
Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Mizzuno, ask yourself how you feel about never ever drinking again. If you shrug & say 'eh no biggie' you are probably not an alcoholic. If like me you feel a sucker punch to the stomach each time you realise, then yes sweetie, you are
Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You're about where I am in sobriety. It hasn't been easy for me, but if it has been easy for you then that's no reason to drink.

I have a sponsor, I just called him. We talked for a while and set up a meeting. Now I'm going out to get myself some exercise--it's just noon here--have a good evening, another day sober! Yay!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is the reason the The Big Book says -'Alcohol is cunning ,Baffling and Powerful'...One major reason most alcoholics start wondering if they are actually an Alcoholic is basically because most heavy drinkers or Alcoholics can manage to abstain from alcohol for a few days....So quitting is no big deal but staying quit is what is important...Most smokers accept they have have a serious problem with tobacco because they realize how difficult it is to quit even for few days...The same with cocaine,heroin,meth etc...The same with compulsive gambling or even with food addiction...But just look into your own drinking history and see how many times you have managed to abstain....Till you reach an extreme point where you become mentally affected or are filled with fear and phobia that you have to compulsorily drink to feel ok...If you have not reached that stage yet...then please do not experiment....Alcohol is very cunning...If you play with that thought it will eventually convince you that nothing is wrong with you and a couple of drinks is fine....and then the endless cycle begins till you manage to muster up the will and courage to start yet another phase of abstinence.This goes on and on till you reach a deep pit.
Just one advice from me....
'It is better to not be an alcoholic and think that you are an alcoholic then to be an alcoholic and think you are not....'By thinking and accepting that you are an alcoholic and by being a member of AA and by abstaining in the process do you lose anything????No, only you gain....How?You are saving all the money that you would be spending on drinks plus you will be saving yourself of all the shame.
But imagine a situation that you are actually an alcoholic but think that you are not....so you get back to drinking and because you have no control on your drink very soon you hit rock bottom....Between the two which is a winner attitude....You decide...
In AA we have a saying 'Surrender to Win'....The sooner you surrender the better for you.
Regards,
Sunder.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No, you're not crazy. Just early into recovery. I used to have thoughts of "drinking responsibly" too and tried it and always failed. I'm blessed to no longer think about drinking at all.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

You have alcoholic thinking, so if that makes you an alkie, yes you are.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool

"...ask yourself how you feel about never ever drinking again. If you shrug & say 'eh no biggie' you are probably not an alcoholic..."

I got sober in AA, and like the founders of AA, I got sober 'for good and all;" in other words, forever, to never drink again.....

Before the one-day-at-a-timers jump in with all we have is today, and the famous one day at a time, just remember, one day at a time is from the serenity prayer and is how one lives one's life. Yes, the early AA's helped newcomers and folks going through a rough patch with having folks just to not drink today, for the next 24 hours, but only for those times. One does not live the rest of one's life not drinking one day at a time. One lives one's life one day at as time, but one gets sober for good and all.

Going back to the quote above...................(shrug) eh, no biggie.....and I am definitely an alcoholic (recovered).

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-31-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went a year without drinking and thought I could go back out for some "controlled" drinking. Well guess what. Within no time my drinking was uncontrollable. I am an alcoholic. You could try to go back out to see what happens but I don't think you will be pleased with the results.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep your thoughts are trying to trick you.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic....115 days sober but I know one drink will put me back on that slippery slope.....Don't listen to the voices...
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by bradley26 View Post
Its like a part of my brain wants booze but the other half dosnt.
Interestingly, that's EXACTLY what happens in an addict's mind also.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

After a good length of time it is easy to doubt yourself, and your reasons for giving up in the first place. The 'Am I REALLY an alcoholic thoughts start'. All I can say is that every time I had that first drink again, when I felt that I could drink 'just a few', it ended in disaster. Either a) I went on a huge bender and came to the attention of the police. Or, b) I went on a huge bender and spent a week recovering in tatters. I wouldn't recommend experimenting with it again.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was sober for a year and a half and had the same thoughts. Surely if I could quit for that long I don't have a problem. I can moderate.

2 years later and here I am at day 35. It took 2 more years of drinking for me to realize that I cannot moderate. I'm an alcoholic. It will only get worse as time goes on if I don't abstain.

I wish I hadn't tried my last experiement. I would not recommend it.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I did 60+ days 5 years ago and am now on day 6.. SoberKat9 is right IMO...
Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have you looked into rational recovery and AVRT? It helped me with recognizing my addict voice.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you're concerned about your drinking then you probably have a drinking problem. Only you and a professional can determine to what degree it's a "problem". But odds are good the problem will get worse. Stopping for a period of time is basically irrelevant as many problem drinkers are able to stop for lengthy periods and start again.

Try this assessment test, it may help you decide. A score of higher than 8 indicates a drinking problem that should be addressed:

Alcohol Abuse Self Test
Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter if you're an alcoholic or not. 'Alcoholic' is just a word. if you think drinking alcohol is something you can do safely, then it's your decision to make whether or not to drink it. If you don't think you can, then don't drink. That's all that really matters. The fact that you're posting here makes me think you know the answer, but ultimately it's your call.