Notices

12 Days Sober and I have Cravings!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 Days Sober and I have Cravings!

Hi Guys

Hope this post finds you all fit and well

Really proud of myself 12 days without a drink, feel great only minimal anxiety on a morning but the cravings have it me bad this evening

I wondered if one of the reasons is becAuse I feel good that maybe I think I could have a drink? Has anybody experienced this?

I am not going to though I have come this far over the first rough part. I am sat in my little house near London watching England play on the TV and all as I keep thinking is beer, even though I used to drink red wine, what's that all about?

Hugs
Jackie x
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on day 1, but what you describe is what scares me. I'm very interested in following this thread. Don't drink!!! 12 days is amazing! 13 is more amazing!! (:
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's easy to quit at first when we feel bad about drinking.

then, as we sober up a bit, we start to feel good. We feel good enough to think that maybe it's okay to drink 'a little'. We can handle it this time.

This is our mind playing tricks on us. The only solution is to remain vigilant and keep reminding ourselves that we really can't drink in moderation. Even if we can drink in moderation for a day, week, month... eventually we're going to be back where we started - regretting the mess we made due to alcohol and feeling bad enough to stop. The cycle repeats forever unless you break it, and there are really two ways to do that - sobriety, or death.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After a two week stint of being sober (which was nearly a year ago) I thought "wow, I feel so good, now is the right time to go out and celebrate, just a little"......didn't go so well, and here I am a year later glad to say I'm over 24hrs sober. Try not to give in, occupy yourself somehow, for me its staying close to the computer, until I get busy with my kids then I am also distracted, but then later tonight I will be back on here.
STAY STRONG!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jac I'm 110 days sober and I still get cravings now...Not as bad but I still get them...I know exactly how you feel because In the early days I would crave so bad I would row with my wife and get angry at the kids because in the past I would do that as an excuse to drink.....Stick with it,I found eating fruit and sweets especially wine gums would take away my cravings....Like I said,stick with it....I promise you it does get easier....
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

Thanks SO much for all your support it is really appreciated

The sweets really do help but I have put on weight, think I am eating too much chocolate

I was on my way to work yesterday and called into the local shop to get a newspaper, the alcohol shelves had their shutters down as it was 10am, there was a queue of about 5 people waiting for the shutters to open, the people in the queue looked terrible, one guy at the front was crying and shaking, it put the real fear in me!

Jackie xx
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by JAC13 View Post
I wondered if one of the reasons is becAuse I feel good that maybe I think I could have a drink? Has anybody experienced this?
I was reading about this today. The eggheads call it incentive sensitization. It pretty much means 'craving' and it will take our brains a long time to unlearn it. It will decrease substantially after a few months, but cravings can recur years down the road. (According to some egghead literature, at least.)

The good news is that once we know what it is, it loses its power. When it's a mystery it's scary. Once we know it's just our brain chemistry being whacked because of the garbage we fed it for years and years it's not so bad.

Get a new hobby to fill up the time you used to spend drunk!