Notices

Don't know what to do or expect....

Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Don't know what to do or expect....

Today is the day, it has to be. I really don't know how to do this or what I should say.
I started drinking about 2 years ago, it was originally just occasionally once or twice a month. That led to every weekend. About a year ago we had a garage fire and from there it went to every evening. The last couple months it's everyday.
I'm sick of it. I humiliate myself in front of friends and family. I wake up sometimes in the middle of the night cuz I'm so disgusted with myself and the failure I've become and the humiliation I bring on myself from my actions the night before.
Yet I wake up in the mornings and I shake so bad... it's awful, by around 10 my head feels so dizzy and blah, that I open another beer just to make it stop with the intention of only having one and then I think nope " I'll have 2, 2 won't hurt" and continue to drink until I pass out at bedtime. I'm done. I'm tired of feeling horrible and depressed all the time, I want my life back.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!

Been there, done that. It is a miserable feeling.

Step 1 is to not drink today.

You're about to get a heap of advice. read it all. Best of Luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Rhpudgey3,

I too am in the earliest stages of recovery, but after finding this site and talking to the people on it, I can't think of a better support network to help me fight my corner you're in the right place!

Hope to see you around the forum.
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

Call someone to see if you can be taken to a medically supervised detox for straters.
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you, and I also read through the avrt material. it deffinatly gave me a different way of looking at this.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR and congratulations on making the choice to quit drinking.

What you can expect really varies, but initially there will most likely be some kind of withdrawal. It's highly recommended that you visit a doctor, and be completely honest about your drinking, as withdrawal can have very serious side effects. Your shakes and dizziness are actuallly the beginnings of withdrawal each day before you start drinking again. Things can get much, much worse than that in the days immediately following cessation of drinking - so please get some medical advice. A family doctor, detox center or even the ER should be able to provide this for you.

Once the initial detox is over, you will need to learn how to stay stopped. SR is a great resource for that, and there is a lot of info on support groups too ( AA, AVRT, Smart, etc ) here if you choose to use one of those as well.

But for starters, just worry about getting some medical advice and stopping. The first week or so is usually the worst part to get over, but it's more than worth it. Good luck and stay with us!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome to SR and congratulations on making the choice to quit drinking.

What you can expect really varies, but initially there will most likely be some kind of withdrawal. It's highly recommended that you visit a doctor, and be completely honest about your drinking, as withdrawal can have very serious side effects. Your shakes and dizziness are actuallly the beginnings of withdrawal each day before you start drinking again. Things can get much, much worse than that in the days immediately following cessation of drinking - so please get some medical advice. A family doctor, detox center or even the ER should be able to provide this for you.

Once the initial detox is over, you will need to learn how to stay stopped. SR is a great resource for that, and there is a lot of info on support groups too ( AA, AVRT, Smart, etc ) here if you choose to use one of those as well.

But for starters, just worry about getting some medical advice and stopping. The first week or so is usually the worst part to get over, but it's more than worth it. Good luck and stay with us!
I acutally went to the Dr. last month and he told me not to quit cold turkey but to wean myself. that's a great thought except it's not possible for me. I have another appt next week and think I'm gona be a bit more honest this time.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by rhpudgey3 View Post
I acutally went to the Dr. last month and he told me not to quit cold turkey but to wean myself. that's a great thought except it's not possible for me. I have another appt next week and think I'm gona be a bit more honest this time.
Being a bit more honest is good, but being totally honest will be even better of course. Doctors have seen and heard it all so they won't be the least surprised by anything you tell them. Best of luck, and since you are going cold turkey it appears ( against his advice ) is there someone else aware of it that can help or get you to the ER if the withdrawals become very severe? It's always best to be safe rather than sorry.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Being a bit more honest is good, but being totally honest will be even better of course. Doctors have seen and heard it all so they won't be the least surprised by anything you tell them. Best of luck, and since you are going cold turkey it appears ( against his advice ) is there someone else aware of it that can help or get you to the ER if the withdrawals become very severe? It's always best to be safe rather than sorry.
yes my husband. I'm thankful for his support.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by rhpudgey3 View Post
yes my husband. I'm thankful for his support.
That is good news indeed, you are fortunate to have him and his support. Best of luck and do lots of reading/asking questions here - it really helps me.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck on your journey. One of the best things about SR is there is always someone here that can lend a hand or just listen. Hang in there!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't know what the deal is but my stomach has been upset for the last couple hours. I know if I took a drink, it would feel better but I refuse. I made up my mind and I am not going back. darn if I don't feel crappy though
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yea I feel terrible today becuase I drank a ton last night. I know if I had a drink I would feel better but Im trying really hard not to. I need to remember this crappy feeling and remind myself of it next time I want to drink
Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My goodness, have I also tried to wean myself (today is also my first new attempt at sobriety).

To get through the shakes and to steady myself (and mostly so I didn't feel like such utter CRAP) I'd go for one drink. EVERY TIME I told myself it would just be one and that's all I'd need. But if I was drinking the hard stuff, it was so easy to go for that second one. And, like in yesterday's case, I realized after two shots that I wasn't really feeling that great. I wanted to feel good, darnit, and I didn't want to worry about anything.

I ended up getting so smashed I'm in agony today and I woke up not remembering what I did last night.

I'm through with it too. I guess I was overly emotional last night and said stupid stuff. I'm tired of my BF looking at me like I'm a POS. And I've come to the conclusion that I can never have just one. And drinking 500-600ml of hard alcohol a day is going to kill me sooner than later.

I'm there with you pal.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FellOnNewDays View Post
My goodness, have I also tried to wean myself (today is also my first new attempt at sobriety).

To get through the shakes and to steady myself (and mostly so I didn't feel like such utter CRAP) I'd go for one drink. EVERY TIME I told myself it would just be one and that's all I'd need. But if I was drinking the hard stuff, it was so easy to go for that second one. And, like in yesterday's case, I realized after two shots that I wasn't really feeling that great. I wanted to feel good, darnit, and I didn't want to worry about anything.

I ended up getting so smashed I'm in agony today and I woke up not remembering what I did last night.

I'm through with it too. I guess I was overly emotional last night and said stupid stuff. I'm tired of my BF looking at me like I'm a POS. And I've come to the conclusion that I can never have just one. And drinking 500-600ml of hard alcohol a day is going to kill me sooner than later.

I'm there with you pal.
I did the same thing.... I felt like a complete idiot this morning and so ashamed. I don't want to live like that anymore.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR from a fellow Buckeye! I commend your decision to get sober. It's rough at first but well worth the effort. Do be safe while going thru withdrawal, see a doctor if it gets bad. Be safe!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

your digestive system is starting to heal

stay strong and stay sober