Notices

Greetings!!! Thanks for Having me

Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings!!! Thanks for Having me

My name is chris, and I have been searching for a forum like this for a long time. Guess I wasn't smart enough to just "look on the internet." Some personal info: I am 41 years old, and have been an alchoholic for well over half of that time. I have two awesome kids, Daughter age 13, and son age 11 and I don't want to put them through what I went through with my own alchoholic single-mom. I made a decision to get clean FINALLY for MYSELF and not my kids or my wife. I am 41 going on 18...I'm at least trying to "up" that number to 25. I have a B.S in Biochemistry, a minor in Natural Sciences, and am teaching myself Theoretical Physics (though pretty painful at times). I have been teaching high school biology for the past year. For as long as I can remember (five years old or so) I have seen the world from a purely scientific standpoint, and was never able to wrap my head around the supernatural. I am a lifelong atheist. I have been trying to quit drinking by going to AA for over a year. I have been on and off for that year, but have been COMPLETELY sober since February 13th. I want to join this group because, while AA preaches (no pun intended) non-denominational thinking, their entire program is based up a belief in a "higher power" which to the myriad of people I have met in these meetings means GOD. Where as they see "god," I see neurons making new connections, enzymes acting on the brain and the body, and a whole host neurochemical receptors and transmitters that are all "out of whack" from twenty years of heavy drinking. My wish for joining this forum is to just find some like-minded people that I can chat with, or join an online discussion or meeting. I definitely want to get sober, but was almost lynched at a Baptist AA meeting when i told them that my "higher power" was me. A not so nice gentleman said to me "are you saying you are god," to which I replied, "yeah...I guess I am, it's all in my head just like yours." That didn't go over so well. Would love some advice and maybe even a funny story or two. Again, thanks for having me. -chris-
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Stubbs. You will find that the members of this list go back and forth about their programs, but AA is extremely successful. I guess it also stands to reason that lots of people in AA might be less welcoming of other points of view as they are hanging on to what they know. So I wouldn't challenge them.

But if you can skirt that one issue, and find a higher power that works for you, I'm sure they could be helpful.

Congratulations on your six weeks of sobriety! You'll find lots of support on SR
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Naturestubbs!

Congratulations on a month of sobriety!

I am an atheist, I studied environmental sciences in college and believe nuclear fusion occurs in volcanoes. I am fortunate to live where there is a very open-minded AA group; we in fact have a weekly meeting called "Mindfulness" which does not emphasize God as a higher power.

But it does not surprise me that you met some resistance when you said "you" were your higher power. It is my understanding that this is the one thing that specifically is not accepted by the program as a higher power. I am currently reading The Teaching of Buddha (Tokyo: Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai, 2005), and am finding the same concept. There are threads here in the Secular 12-Step forum which discuss various concepts of a higher power.

Have you looked into SMART recovery meetings? There are seven per week near Cincinnati. I am not familiar with the program, but see that it is based "on self empowerment and self-reliance." You might also want to look into AVRT; there are several discussions here in the Secular forum. That program specifically excludes group therapy as a recovery method.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts here at SoberRecovery!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

I'd like to discuss these matters but I understand this particular section of the forum asks us not to do so. It can and probably will lead to debates.
Welcome.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Night owl

Welcome nature! Congratulations on over a month sober, that's terrific! Other posters have already mentioned some of the other forums here you might want to check out. I just wanted to say that I am a big believer/follower of science and the laws and mystery of nature, too. Learning about neurobiology is a huge help to me in understanding my addiction and lots of other areas where I am damaged and am trying to heal.

I'm in a fairly small area and the religious/"god" aspects of NA have been off-putting to me, too, so I am trying to find other alternatives that fit me better. But ultimately I believe that whatever works is good. Have you tried any OP counseling? That might be something to check into, I've been finding it helpful.

I look forward to more posts from you, too. And gotta add I''m impressed your learning Theoretical Physics. It's an area of interest for me too but I have to come at it from a non-math angle. I may love science but math does not love me! Take care!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, I just heard about SMART recovery last night. I'm gonna check it out. i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks, NS!

I have been here hoping to hear more about SMART!