Notices

Need Guidance

Old 03-16-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Guidance

Hey everyone!

So I'm reaching out for some help/assistance. I've been drinking for about a year now, beer, and mainly half pint of vodka a night. Tonight I'm not drinking and I feel awesome. But I have a serious problem...my body is telling me to stop doing this, my mind is saying "just another night" I literally can feel my mind and body reacting to these decisions. On top of that I smoke one swisher sweet cigar per day. I know the reason for this is because It clears my mind of all the thoughts racing through my head about life. I'm 22 years old and I know this NEEDS to change. Alcoholism is a HUGE problem on both sides of my family, and I know one thing...it has to stop. I visualize myself exercising and look fine as hell, drinking is stopping me. Waking up feeling my muscles really weak and in a daze bothers me more than ever. What can I start doing now to resist these cravings?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would get a sinking sick feeling in my stomach and a low grade headache when I was headed to the liquor store or a party where I knew I was going to get **** drunk but pushed through and did it anyway. After a few drinks all of that pre-drinking dread would go away and I 'd be guzzling whatever. I'd keep at it the next day because I'd dread facing the hangover more than acting responsibly for my family. But the withdraw always comes at some point and usually after I've disgusted and frightened everyone I love.
If you're not interested in these kinds of experiences then deciding to stop drinking now and using resourceslike SR is probably a good idea. Considering alcoholism is a progressive disease, you could wait until you have more to lose and farther to fall before you quit. That's what I did and it's really really humiliating.

Like they say, the time you took to walk into the woods is the time it will take you to walk out.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teddyjackson View Post
I know the reason for this is because It clears my mind of all the thoughts racing through my head about life.
This is what I used to say about drinking and is the one thing I wished I had addressed sooner. I am sure that a lot of people think the same way about alcohol but for me I convinced myself that I needed it, to sleep, to stop my head going over and over stuff... Maybe start looking into better coping mechanisms now. Find another way to handle those racing thoughts, maybe meditation or exercise... The thing is when you come to rely on something it will always be the thing you go to first and you'll never learn how to cope with life without alcohol, and then comes the scary alcoholic stuff. Glad you're here x
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, the hook is that your come to believe you can't sleep/live/enjoy life without alcohol. That's what the disease tells us. I also had racing thoughts and I have found that I have far more control over my thoughts than when I was drinking and I was a slave to the words in my head.

You can do this and I hope you decide to stick around and continue posting.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How wonderful you're 22 and recognizing a potential problem! There is a lot of good information and support here to help you. Think about your future as a sober, healthy and happy person
Old 03-17-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TJ, You're way ahead of the game if you give up the drink. I gave it up at 23 was sober for 4 years and then went back out for another 25 years. And now back to square 1. You can't go wrong. Surround yourself w/positive people ( which may or may not include your family). You will not regret it. I get very frustrated, when my addictive voice keeps rearing it's ugly head. Wish that wasn't the case, but it is what it is. Hang around SR. It helps. Check out the tools also.