Notices

is it time for help?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is it time for help?

I have been worrying a bit about my drinking for a while now because a lot of my friends have told me that it is a problem (and my doctor told me i need to cut down because i have bipolar...but i just have not been able to) I have always loved the fact I could drink more than any one else. But now I am starting to notice that when I drink its not like how my friends drink; when I drink I get drunk until I black out even though it turns me into a crazy, embarrassing *******. I have just started a new university course where I don't know anyone and I have noticed that my drinking has spiralled again. On my first day I filled a water bottle with alcohol and drank all day at uni, I have been going to collage parties and getting blind drunk and then i am also drinking alone at home. I feel fine in the morning but at about 7 pm, when i would ordinarily go out, I start to feel so shaky that i cant type on my phone or write straight until i have some alcohol again. Being at uni, there is a party every second day and every time i say i'll cut down i just think "but i really want to go to this party" and i don't... i keep telling myself i am being dramatic or something about thinking this is a problem but maybe its not.. what do you think? what should i do?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If alcohol is causing problems in your life (and it sounds like it is) then stop drinking for say three months and see how it goes. If it's easy then no problem, but if it's hard to stop you may need help in staying sober. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're not being dramatic. I think you know in your heart that putting alcohol in your water bottle at school isn't normal drinking and getting blind drunk isn't normal drinking. Add that to your bi-polar disorder and whatever meds you're taking for that and you have the makings of a disaster on your hands.

Good for you for questioning it. Keep questioning it and keep reading.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Those 7 PM shakes are withdrawal symptoms. If you can't stop drinking, get medical help.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i just rang up the alcohol and drug intake service and was referred to a youth service with alcohol counsellors... they talked to me for a while and will get back to me next week after they've had a discussion about what route to take.. whether to give me an alcohol counsellor or something "with more intensive support" whatever that means... anyway i finally bit the bullet and called it was really scary but i think it'll probably be worth it :S
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's great!!! A big first step. All the best to you. You can do this.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you! If you think it's a problem then it most likley is. Make sure to allow the people to help and keep us updated on your progress. Oh and welcome to SR.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi eolc? Thanks for sharing what you're going thru. My suggestion is reading pgs31&32 of big bk to get an understanding of u're prob. I think you are an alki but only u can define u're self. Nthg wrong in admitting it coz life is soooooo much better on the other side!!
Al the best!