Notices

Around what age did you decide it was time to quit? Why?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Around what age did you decide it was time to quit? Why?

I was thinking about this today and remembering all the posts I have read by people of different ages on:

Around what age and how many times it took before finally quitting...

Reasons they decided enough was enough...

And perhaps any health problems that reversed after they quit/how long after quitting...

I have found lots of inspiration in those posts. Here's my own:

I'm in my early 30's. I decided to quit because I realized my first drunk experience was at 18 from a 6 pack. My first liquor drunk experienc was a pint of Jim. The entire pint in two hours. I can remember countless pints of whiskey... never just a shot. Countless beers... never just one. I'm pretty sure the point of drinking wine is to sip and enjoy... not chug entire glasses before actually "sipping". In the past year I've found myself drinking in the mornings on weekends to compensate for the night before, then on Monday mornings, etc... Hangovers are now horrible experiences of chest pain, panic, and fear. Gastric system totally messed up when drinking. And, regret. Lots of regret. I know major medical complications, a DUI, etc... are just a matter of time if I don't quit. On brief stretches of sobriety all of that gets better for me. Usually just after 5 - 7 days. I can't imagine how good I would feel at 30 days. 60, 90, a year...

Which, has opened my eyes to realize I need to say goodbye for good with hope, excitement, and courage to live a complete clean and sober life. I've been trying for 7 months to quit for good. Looking for that special 30 days. =) Thanks for sharing your experiences... as well as the motivation and camaraderie I have found on this site.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

at 21, almost 22... four years was more than enough
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Still trying to quit; early 30s. My initial motivation was that I saw health consequences to my drinking: weight gain, fast heart rate, burst capillaries, etc. I never really thought about the mental health/behavioral side of things perhaps because I never experienced severe and immediate consequences from drinking like a DUI, damaged relationship, etc. But, once I decided to take quitting seriously, I saw that my life has been going down hill generally; it isn't just a physical problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
I was thinking about this today and remembering all the posts I have read by people of different ages on:

Around what age and how many times it took before finally quitting...

Reasons they decided enough was enough...

And perhaps any health problems that reversed after they quit/how long after quitting...

I have found lots of inspiration in those posts. Here's my own:

I'm in my early 30's. I decided to quit because I realized my first drunk experience was at 18 from a 6 pack. My first liquor drunk experienc was a pint of Jim. The entire pint in two hours. I can remember countless pints of whiskey... never just a shot. Countless beers... never just one. I'm pretty sure the point of drinking wine is to sip and enjoy... not chug entire glasses before actually "sipping". In the past year I've found myself drinking in the mornings on weekends to compensate for the night before, then on Monday mornings, etc... Hangovers are now horrible experiences of chest pain, panic, and fear. Gastric system totally messed up when drinking. And, regret. Lots of regret. I know major medical complications, a DUI, etc... are just a matter of time if I don't quit. On brief stretches of sobriety all of that gets better for me. Usually just after 5 - 7 days. I can't imagine how good I would feel at 30 days. 60, 90, a year...

Which, has opened my eyes to realize I need to say goodbye for good with hope, excitement, and courage to live a complete clean and sober life. I've been trying for 7 months to quit for good. Looking for that special 30 days. =) Thanks for sharing your experiences... as well as the motivation and camaraderie I have found on this site.
Wow - I'm 33 and you just described my exact experience with alcohol to the T. I'm only 10 days in but had a stretch of almost 50 days last year and was feeling quite strong and well. One of the big differences I noticed mentally was that the guilt and depression subsided, and I felt sharper. Physically, I felt in great shape and really was able to focus on my fitness goals, etc. I had a full CBC done (at around 30 days sober) and all of my blood results were normal and in fact, quite good for someone of my age. I didn't have any major physical problems prior, but was really beating the hell out of my body, and had gastric issues and sleep issues while drinking - those cleared as well. I used to dread going to bed at night - now I am out like a rock and sleep easily through the night. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Quit at age 43 after nearly 30 years. Started weekly binge drinking at age 14, tried a few half-hearted attempts at quitting over the years (longest abstinence was 3 months), started drinking daily at age 35 and didn't stop until the day I ended up in the ER with severe panic attacks at age 43. That was nearly 4 years ago. Last 4 years sober have been the happiest of my adult life
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're a little ways ahead of me and the same age, D. We should form a 33 club. =) Isn't it a funny thing to celebrate a normal crap, not munching the tums, and like you said... falling asleep normally and sleeping soundly. The insanity is experiencing that then reverting back to that 6 pack of seasonal ale with old college friends...

That's where I am, now. Realizing it will never just be a 6 pack of Dig or Aspen Spring... more like a 6 of that then a 6 of this... a little bit of that...

Then the cycle of "what just came out of my gut"... why am I running 11 minute miles feeling like my heart might stop???... and why am I not sleeping. Not sleeping is the root of so many problems... some say the panic attacks. Lack of irregular sleep.

My goal is to bid farethewell forever.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been sober for 20 days now. And my life has improved so much in that time. I have a clear head and am able to approach situations in a calm manner.

Rich

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're a little ways ahead of me and the same age, D. We should form a 33 club. =) Isn't it a funny thing to celebrate a normal crap, not munching the tums, and like you said... falling asleep normally and sleeping soundly. The insanity is experiencing that then reverting back to that 6 pack of seasonal ale with old college friends...

That's where I am, now. Realizing it will never just be a 6 pack of Dig or Aspen Spring... more like a 6 of that then a 6 of this... a little bit of that...

Then the cycle of "what just came out of my gut"... why am I running 11 minute miles feeling like my heart might stop???... and why am I not sleeping. Not sleeping is the root of so many problems... some say the panic attacks. Lack of irregular sleep.

My goal is to bid farethewell forever.
Me too - still very much a newbie at this but am quite inspired to kick this now before (more) permanent damage is done. I had the DUI too when I was 21 but have escaped more or less unscathed other than the mental trauma of all the bad things I have done. Yep, I 6er of microbrew for me almost always turned into several days of drinking and misery afterwards. While it bothers me that I can't just "have a few drinks," I also think to myself, what would be the point of having a few drinks without completely blowing my mind...so maybe I'm not really missing out on anything that great vis-a-vis moderate drinking...
Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

43..I didn't like anything about me or my life. I lived out of fear desperation and panic. I had no respect for myself. I was disgusted and terrified.

I got into recovery. 6 months later got clean/sober for the first time. Two major relapses, now a year clean from both!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
43..I didn't like anything about me or my life. I lived out of fear desperation and panic. I had no respect for myself. I was disgusted and terrified.

I got into recovery. 6 months later got clean/sober for the first time. Two major relapses, now a year clean from both!
Very nice work. How do you feel now?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I always knew I drank too much, even in my 20's but i didn't really care because everyone else I hung around with did too. It really started hitting me in my mid 30's when we started having more kids. Not only did i realize it was a bad thing, but i started drinking even more to deal with all the issues I tried to hide from by drinking. It was within the last year, early 40s that I finally decided to do something about it. I wasn't drinking round the clock, but every evening after work at least 4-6 beers throughout the evening and on weekends usually about a 12 pack a day starting around 11:30 am or noon. All beer, but again really doesn't matter.

Now that I'm about 2 months in ( day 67 today ) i still am feeling the effects of so many years of abusing my body. All my vitals and bloodwork check out OK, but i still have anxiety from time to time, feel zoned out/off balance at times, etc. But it is DEFINITELY an improvement over the alternative of waking up hungover/almost sick and dehydrated. I certainly hope the months to come show more improvement. I've been watching my diet but actually lost about 10lbs just becasue of the beer being out of the way.

My sole motivation for support has been my family and SR - thanks again to everyone here for all the encouragement along the way, still feel new at this but learning a day at at time to live sober.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I always knew I drank too much, even in my 20's but i didn't really care because everyone else I hung around with did too. It really started hitting me in my mid 30's when we started having more kids. Not only did i realize it was a bad thing, but i started drinking even more to deal with all the issues I tried to hide from by drinking. It was within the last year, early 40s that I finally decided to do something about it. I wasn't drinking round the clock, but every evening after work at least 4-6 beers throughout the evening and on weekends usually about a 12 pack a day starting around 11:30 am or noon. All beer, but again really doesn't matter.
You were me, now. That's exactly why I posted this thread.... thanks. From the kids, 30's, dealing with issues... too the drinking pattern. Nice looking axe in your avatar, too. Thanks for the motivation and reminder why I'm here.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm 28 years old and finally realizing I need to stop drinking b/c when I do bad things happen. I never stop at one drink. I would wake up first thing in the morning and take a shot of 100 proof. I have had 2 DUI's, fell cracked the back of my head open and was hospitalized, numerous fights with loved ones, numerous days waking up feeling like crap throwing up all morning, chugging water, panic attacks like crazy, not really sleeping but passing out, calling off work b/c I felt horrible, missing family functions b/c I want to avoid people bc im drunk.

With all those horrible things being said the reason I want to quit now is b/c I have two beautiful young kids. I grew up in a single family household with an alcoholic mom. I watched my mom drink herself to death. I NEVER EVER want my kids to go through what I went through. I recognize that my life is unmanageable when alcohol is involved.

I am only 2 days in to not drinking but I feel great and I am going to keep reminding myself how good I feel every time I think about having "just one"
Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You were me, now. That's exactly why I posted this thread.... thanks. From the kids, 30's, dealing with issues... too the drinking pattern. Nice looking axe in your avatar, too. Thanks for the motivation and reminder why I'm here.
Thanks - are you a player? That's one thing I completely forgot to mention. I have taken guitar back up as a pastime and am slowly re-learning how to play. Instead of having a few more beers after the kids go to bed and passing out watching tv, I try to pull my guitar and practice amp/headphones out and go through some online lessons. Even though i'm very early in recovery I already realize i'm going to need to set some long term goals for myself and as a father/husband to keep on track. Learning guitar seems like a good one as it builds on previous experiences.

And another good reminder to me to change my avatar...I actually sold that guitar and replaced it with a different one recently!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I first quit at 27 after over 10 years of heavy drinking. I had wanted to quit for quite a while but never had the strength. What finally woke me up is being shot and almost killed during a robbery.

The first 4 years I was sober I didn't have much desire to drink but the last year I kept getting closer to the bottle and finally fell off the wagon big time.

Flash forward a year later and things were as bad as they ever were. Ther wasn't anything as dramatic as being shot this time but I managed to f*** up everything that I had built while sober. The hangovers were getting worse every time and the self pity and depression were almost too much to bear. It was finally just enough. Continuing down that path only lead to one place. Misery and an early grave either by the bottle or my own hand.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

50, I quit just 5 days ago.

I have tried on many occasions, the longest being 77 days after my wife got a DUI. I quit to support her, she didn't even try.

I have been thinking about quitting for a while now, and tried all the tricks. "not gonna drink today" "will have no more than 3 today" "will drink somethink I dont like, that way I wont drink much" None of these tricks work!

Never had bad hangovers, but have noticed that I can wake up much easier in the morning now and have more energy throughout the day.

Also the little stressors that would send me to the bar are not stressing me out nealry as much as they did even last week.

I will never wake up in jail again from drinking.

I am glad to see that so many people younger than me are realizing what out of control drinking can do. You have a long life ahead of you and I wish all of you the best in your recovery and your futures.

I also appreciate finding this site and reading that I am not, nor ever was all alone

And I appreciate the
Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Around what age did you decide it was time to quit? Why?

I was 45 yrs old.

It was July 18,1989. I had a gun to my head and knew if I didn't surrender there wasn't going to be a July 19.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I quit every morning since the age of 25.
I stayed stopped for several years at the age of 32.
Again at about 38.
I quit every day for several more years.
I had sober time off and on for a year at the age of 46.
Again at 48.
I stayed stopped at the age of 50.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me it was age 35 after 15 years of heavy drinking. I was on medicine for panic attacks and heartburn. I would drink every night. Wine or beer. Wine when I wanted to look like a sophisticated drinker. Two bottles later I can't imagine I looked that sophisticated. I couldn't sleep unless I was drunk and I couldn't make it through the day without ibuprofen and bloodshot eyes. The weekends were open to anything involving alcohol. I couldn't make plans unless it somehow involved drinking. It's been almost six months and no more medicine. Panic attacks are gone and no more heartburn. I'm sleeping well every night and my weekends are spent on cycling. Rather than drinking for hours I ride for hours. I've lost weight and look healthy again. Drinking stopped me from living. I have alot of living to do now. Screw alcohol! Hope this helps to motivate someone to stay sober. This website helped me tremendously.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hibbsy23 View Post

I have been sober for 20 days now. And my life has improved so much in that time. I have a clear head and am able to approach situations in a calm manner.

Rich

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
I got 20 days too.. feel great...

Ive been drinking for about 16 years or more. I am 29, not sure if this is a forever thing but i feel good. My workouts are great, my body getting back in shape and my sleep is wonderful. No blackouts, no bruises, no headaches, no embaressment