Notices

New and needing some support

Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and needing some support

Hi everyone,
I found this site, while typing in 'online support groups for alcohol'
I am hoping to find the support I need through here. I will try and sum up my problem quickly, sorry if it turns into an essay

Ok so about 4 years ago, I started to rely a little bit on alcohol in the afternoons, to keep me happy. One child 2 years old and a 6 month old, I think I was suffering from PND a little bit but was never diagnosed of this. But I have suffered depression on and off through my teens.
4 years later I can easily down half a case in the afternoon with little problem and maybe even start on the second half if I feel I want to.
I don't drink until 4pm in the afternoon, but by 3:30pm my mouth s watering for the beer.
It has gotten worse since about 5 months ago when my best friend passed away after an 18 month struggle with cancer. This knocked me about a lot, and I took to drinking more. A few other things have happened and are still happening since 5 months ago and it is not helping my drinking situation. I find if I don't have a drink in the arvo I am cranky and snappy and not nice to be around.

It needs to stop and today is day One! Not only does it upset me that I can't go without a beer, it is also affecting my health. I was diagnosed with IBS last year and alcohol is not helping my symptoms at all. After a night on the grog I suffer for days! Why would anyone want to do this to themselves?

So all I ask is for some like minded people to help pull through this, as I said today is day 1, and I want to do this cold turkey for a good few months. And then maybe one day I can go back to how I used to be, and only have the one occasional drink and not rely on it. Xxx
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tigress! You found a great site for support. I am so sorry for your lose... Don't let the booze kill you. Today is day 1 for you and congrats! But, my advice to you is.... if you drink the way you do you are a alcoholic like all of us. So, the worse thing you can say which i did and failed every time is wait a few months and go back to normal drinking if I am reading this right. For me it never worked and for 99% here did not work. Hope you stick around and read as much as you can here and post as much as you can. We are all in the same boat. Again, welcome to SR
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tigress
Glad you came here. Lots of support here. To be honest I use this site and the 12 step program to stay sober. Giving up alcohol is not just changing a bad habit, it goes deeper.

Keep reading and posting. You can do this if you want it.

love
CaiHong
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us. I think it's good that you'll be looking for healthy ways to deal with the ups and downs of life.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before detoxing from alcohol because it can be dangerous. By the way, if you're an alcoholic, you can never go back. Once that invisible line is crossed, there's no going back. But, hopefully you will find that sobriety is good for your life and you'll continue.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Tigress! You've found a wonderful, supportive place. I came here very desperate and alone - but quickly felt welcome and less afraid of beginning my new & sober life.

Congratulations on your Day One - and for making a life saving decision.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tigress

yeah alcohol is definitely not good for IBS. You will hopefully see a marked improvement in a little while.

You'll find a lot of support here.
Come and check out our Class of March thread for everyone quitting this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-5.html

D