Notices

Recovery Quotes

Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Quotes

Many times that I am reading posts, there is a quote as a person's signature. Many of them stick with me, but the more I come here the more inspirational quotes I see. Which quote helps you in recovery? or does anyone know a thread about this? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find that any quote that sticks in my head is good for my recovery. The one in my signature grabbed my eye the morning after my last big binge. I think anything that motivates you in life is good for recovery. Though I would stay away from bukowski.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Mine's from a Johnny Cash song that has become my theme song of recovery. It's running through my head regularly.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Below are some of my favorite quotes regarding self-displiine. Technically they are not "recovery" quotes, but in the past they have helped me stay motived. I typed them up and keep them in a desk drawer and review them when I'm feeliing a little weak:

He who reigns within himself, and rules passions, desires, and fears, is more than a king. -John Milton

Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself. - Abraham J. Heschel

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
-Aristotle

Your brain shall be your servant instead of your master. You will rule it instead of allowing it to rule you. -Charles Popplestone

The price of discipline is always less than the pain of regret - Robin Sharma

The first and best victory is to conquer self - Plato

Such power there is in clear-eyed self-restraint. -James Russell Lowell

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions. - Alfred Lord Tennyson
Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
-Aristotle [/CENTER][/B]
Love this one.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, it's so true isn't it.

Keeping our urges, hungers, cravings and desires in check can be very difficult, but ultimately, I think doing so is what separates we humans from the rest of the animal world. The ability to use our minds, our reason and our will-power to behave with dignity, character and self-restraint isn't always easy, but that's no reason not to work on the task.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I like these:

"Regular having-a-good-time people don’t wake up in a pool of vomit. If you have been cut off in a bar, that could be a problem. If you don’t remember the night before and you wake up with random injuries on your body and leaves and sticks in your hair, could be an issue. If you get drunk, call every person you know, tell them you’re going to kill yourself, and then wake up the next day and decide to join a gym, something is very wrong. If you think everyone in the world is against you and you are completely mistreated… if you think your drinking only affects you… if you drink because your life sucks more than anyone else’s… if you drink because all the people around you are fuckers…and the biggest one, if you’ve ever asked yourself, “Am I an alcoholic?”… God bless you, you are probably and alcoholic." - Dina Kucera, Everything I Never Wanted to Be

The first step to becoming a more peaceful person is to have the humility to admit that, in most cases, you're creating your own emergencies. Life will usually go on if things don't go according to plan. It's helpful to keep reminding yourself and repeating the sentence, "Life isn't an emergency". - Richard Carlson

For after all, the best thing one can do when it is raining is to let it rain. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are.- Marcus Aurelius

And of course, the one in my signature
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The one that is helping me now is "Nothing changes, if Nothing changes!"
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I almost forgot this one:

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”

― Jerry Rice
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
All is Change

Thanks to Anna for reminding me of this one.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love the quote Hevyn has in her signature line:

"You are so much more than the worst thing you've
ever done.' - Fr. Gregory Boyle, Homeboy Industries

I remember reading that in her response to my despair during my relapse and just crying for the simplicity, power and beauty of it. LOVE that quote.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Nothing is impossible; the word itself says ‘I’m possible’! -Audrey Hepburn

If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves - Thomas Edison

Knowing is not enough; we must apply .Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows - Pope Paul VI

I'm on a mission, no matter what the conditions – Sloane Stephens, tennis player

It’s kind of fun to do the impossible – Walt Disney

Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there - Will Rogers, cowboy

I attribute my success to this – I never gave or took any excuse - Florence Nightingale

We improve ourselves by victory over our self. There must be contests, and you must win ― Edward Gibbon, historian

“Do more than is required. What is the distance between someone who achieves their goals consistently and those who spend their lives and careers merely following? The extra mile.” ~Gary Ryan Blair

On the other side of your greatest fears lie your biggest rewards - ?

The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind - William James, psychologist and philosopher

An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox – Lao Tzu

I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games; 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over again in my life. And that’s why I succeed - Michael Jordan

The successful person has the habit of doing the things failures don’t like to do - Thomas Edison

Do what today others won’t, so tomorrow, you can do what others can’t - Brian Rogers Loop

Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs - Vaclav Havel, playwright, essayist and poet

If you’re afraid of losing, then you daren’t win - Bjorn Borg

How long should you try? Until - Jim Rohn

A reputation for a thousand years may depend upon the conduct of a single moment - Ernest Bramah, author

In the giving-is the getting - David Matoc

Working hard becomes a habit, a serious kind of fun. You get self-satisfaction from pushing yourself to the limit, knowing that all the effort is going to pay off - Mary Lou Retton, Olympic champion gymnast (When I hear people say you've got to "do the work" to recover, I think of this quote.)

I believe each human being has the potential to change, to transform one’s own attitude, no matter how difficult the situation - Dalai Lama

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you are always in the same place - Nora Roberts, author

Success is a function of persistence and doggedness and the willingness to work hard for twenty-two minutes to make sense of something that most people would give up on after thirty seconds - Alan Schoenfeld, academic professor

Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being ― Albert Schweitzer, philosopher

So I’m lying there and I ask myself, “What do you want?” and I know that even though I do not feel like it, I do want to get up. Even if you don’t feel like emptying the washing machine, you do want to wear clean clothes. - Andrew Halfacre

God loves a drunkard's cry, a soldier's plea to not let him die better than a hallejuah sometimes. Amy Grant, Better Than A Hallelujah

And finally, the full quote that I got my signature quote from: Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists... it is real... it is possible... it's yours ― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have always kept a copy of this speech by Roosevelt at work. I have my share of Monday morning critics watching over my work/life. Probably alot of us do...... I have found that the longer I have stayed sober the less relevant they are becomming.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, ........ who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.