Brother Using Crack. Has 7 year old son

Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brother Using Crack. Has 7 year old son

Its been awhile since I have posted. My brother (who lives in another state) has struggled with his addiction for years. He is now divorced but has shared custody of his son. My parents were recently called by his xwife to let us know he was out on a binge. I verified with his "girlfriend" and xwife that he has been using pretty often for the past 9 months. No one wants him to die. I know I have no control over this or if he uses. The main question is what about his son? The xwife had and still may have a drinking problem so really no real fit parents. Help!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

That boy deserves a stable and healthy home. If his xwife has kicked her habit, then maybe she could take full custody. What about grandparents or other relatives? I just read a story in Houston about a 4 year old boy who accidentally shot himself to death while his crack addicted dad was passed out on the couch.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry I don't have anything to suggest in terms of the legal issues and how it works with custody as some others on the board might be able to...

Just wanted to reach out with a hug because I know you are concerned for your nephew.

I'll say a prayer for him and you and your brother tonight too.

And I trust that some others with experience with kids/custody issues can suggest some ways you can make sure your nephew is taken care of even from afar. xo
Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So far my brother is on day 9 or so of "recovery" and working the steps, going to meetings, talking to sponsor. My parents are largely in denial and so I need to wait and see if/when he "goes out" again and then if my parents, who are in the process of buying a second home near my brother, would consider custody.

No way to prove xwife is or isnt drinking w/o private detective I dont think. OH, and did I mention there is a love triangle between xwife, "girlfriend" and my brother. Surprise surprise...