Notices

first day was lousy

Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first day was lousy

I have thought about my wine drinking for years but didn't want to think it was an addiction because it was what signaled the end of the day and my time to finally relax in the comforts of home. I love to cook and drink wine. Anyone remember the Galloping Gourmet? But every night I would manage to put away an entire bottle and every morning I would wake tired. I started reading other women's stories and they sounded like mine and that's what validated my concerns and brought me here. This evening was difficult. I was a bundle of nerves and snapped at my husband and son. I just want to crawl under the covers and wait till all this goes away. Will there be a day that I don't think about wine? I marvel that there's a portion of the population that actually go to resturants and don't order a cold beer or glass of wine with their meal. I envy them, but I don't. Aren't they boring?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

First days suck. I had two in the last three weeks. It gets better day by day.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing tonight. I believe that your moods will stabilize in time. What about some Hot Tea? Keep hanging in there. I know you can do this.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
First days suck. I had two in the last three weeks. It gets better day by day.
X2 stick with it. the first bit is tough but so worth it.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PVgirl View Post
I marvel that there's a portion of the population that actually go to resturants and don't order a cold beer or glass of wine with their meal. I envy them, but I don't. Aren't they boring?
I think it's safe to say none of us was a barrel of fun in the depths of addiction. And if Im honest with myself, drinking never cured my boredom, it just made me feel miserable after the initial numbing. Plus I'd rather be boring than disgusted with myself.

It gets better! Hang in there! You made it through the day! woo hoo!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It absolutely gets better. The first few days are especially hard, dealing with the physical withdrawal - and your frayed nerves and snappishness are definitely part of a physical withdrawal. After you get past that, it's the mental tug that is the part to conquer. I'm glad you found SR - keep reading and posting, especially when you're feeling down. Congratulations on getting through your first day; it can be a doozy!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yes I was a female version of the Galloping Gourmet. Well, I would start out galloping and end up stumbling. There were a couple of falling episodes too.
Good for you to decide to stop drinking. Sobriety starts with one day. I remember my first day. I am so glad I tried that day because I actually made it work. You can too!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I marvel that there's a portion of the population that actually go to resturants and don't order a cold beer or glass of wine with their meal. I envy them, but I don't. Aren't they boring?
Nah I'm not boring! haha! I was boring when I drank cuz that is all I ever wanted to do and I kept my family waiting and waiting when they wanted to do fun stuff. I go to AA/NA and have learned some tools to stay sober and the obsession has been lifted. Find a support group in your area and find out how others are staying sober. and try to take their suggestions. It's hard to just try not to think about drinking, you have to replace it with meetings whether it be AA or Rational Recovery or whatever. There you will learn the tools to use when you are tempted.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have thought about my wine drinking for years but didn't want to think it was an addiction because it was what signaled the end of the day and my time to finally relax in the comforts of home. I love to cook and drink wine. Anyone remember the Galloping Gourmet? But every night I would manage to put away an entire bottle and every morning I would wake tired.
Your story is mine. The first couple of days I felt nervous, like I couldn't settle, and I wasn't particularly friendly to my husband. I drank herbal tea and ate WW ice cream bars - two of them each night. It was something to do with my hands that were used to holding a wine glass. It passes. I'm on Day 8. You hang in there and keep reading the posts on SR and you will starting thinking in a way that you haven't in years - and you'll love getting up in the morning after a good night's sleep. No more 3:00 a.m. tossing and turning, trying to get back to sleep. No more racing heartbeats and feeling funny. Take it one day at a time.

Don't worry about all of a sudden turning into some boring, prudish, goody-two shoes that everyone tries to avoid. My hubby is ahead of me in terms of being an RA - for a while he was the only one in the circle that didn't drink - and let me tell you, everyone always wanted him to come to the party. He's funny and tells a good story and is a good guest. It's doable without drinking.