Notices

Got to use the tools for them to work

Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Got to use the tools for them to work

Back a few years I went to a "retreat" for those who suffered loss or abuse. It was a format for three days managed by several counselors that engaged our inner child and adult mind. it allowed for just a short time to put the two together in hopes they will finally talk.

I had many epiphanies through the acceptance I found and witnessed in others.

I learned how to meditate. How to nurture my inner boy. How to uncover things hidden from me in plain sight.

In taking some time to think back on those lessons I have been trying to apply them to my addictions.

I try everyday to stop for 5 minutes to just sit. Not easy to do sometimes. But I force it. When I am at the height of desire to drink. When my heart is racing and my mind is nearly made up.... I try like hell to stop. Insert 5 minutes and consider what's going on. This has helped me a lot.

Dealing with that inner boy is sometimes harder. He and my AV speak when I am not looking. AV is not kind to children. He tricks them into giving up information. Aiding the enemy.

Breaking through that wall of smoke and mirrors takes practice for me. When I am worked up into a froth and close to giving in is when I know it's time to speak to my young friend. Ask what's wrong. What do you need at this moment?

Thankfully with more sober time I get less worked up most days. I can use these tools and others to manage cravings and my AV.

Well today is one of those days I need the tools. With the winter storm. My job has me so worked up with seeing the project I am doing finally show visible results and the compliments I have received. Hell.... Because its Thursday.

I see it all! How far I have come with this. So I will take time when I get home to relax and try to calm things a bit. Go get dinner out. Break through what ever smoke and mirrors that come my way. Listen to that inner child. And that old stand by favorite for me.... Go get ice cream!

Happy sober Thursday!

K
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post

I try everyday to stop for 5 minutes to just sit. Not easy to do sometimes. But I force it. When I am at the height of desire to drink. When my heart is racing and my mind is nearly made up.... I try like hell to stop. Insert 5 minutes and consider what's going on. This has helped me a lot.

Go get ice cream!
Ken,

Thanks for this.

Jim
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I sometimes have to stop for a lot longer than 5 mins

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Weasel, thanks for this post. I find nurturing the inner child a difficult task, but stopping and listening to what it needs sounds like a great tool.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thanks... I did come home and spend a few minutes. Went to California pizza kitchen. Eat so much that no ice cream. But.... Gonna wake up feeling great. Excited to go to work!

K
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Both tools seem really useful. Amazing how hard it is to just sit and do nothing but meditate or listen to the voices in your head lol I haven't done much with inner child stuff, but really identifying what that part of your self needs would probably help with any kind of addiction.

I can relate to the storm triggering cravings big time. Ugh!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Thanks... I did come home and spend a few minutes. Went to California pizza kitchen. Eat so much that no ice cream. But.... Gonna wake up feeling great. Excited to go to work!

K
I haven't been to CPK in eight years. I'm going to go this weekend. Thanks for the reminder. Yummm