Notices

Update and my AA Novella

Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update and my AA Novella

Hi Everyone, just wanted to give an update and also share about my experience with AA.

First off, this is day 20! I can't believe it, really. I can't believe three weeks ago I was sitting in a hotel room in Africa polishing off my third or fourth bottle of wine during the last day of a three day bender thinking that I would never, ever get better. It was a relapse but I had pretty much given up hope that night. SR, and all of you, pulled me through. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know there is A LOT more to be done and that this is a lifetime process and commitment but being sober for three weeks (and really meaning it this time), has opened my eyes to how I have not lived, like really LIVED except in suspended, drunken animation, for at least five years. These three weeks have not been easy but they are a hell of a lot better than being drunk/hungover/guilty/angry/despondent/etc.

On AA: That was the single most frightening thing for me. It wasn't so bad to admit to my family and close friends that I had a serious problem (like it wasn't obvious anyway) or to come here and be among supportive people who had been through similar or the same...but going into a room of strangers and admitting that I am a drunk and need help? Sharing the stuff that I still can barely face and trust that I wouldn't be judged? Hell no, would not, could not, believe it.

But I knew that my first time around (six weeks sober) without outside support had failed. Wasn't too worried about the religious aspect as that has never bugged me one way or the other---live and let live in my book. Also wasn't afraid of seeing people I knew as I live pretty far away from where I work and when you start passing out in public on a regular basis---well, how much more embarrassing can you get than that? The rest of it scared me to death, however.

So I stalked the meetings for a week---sitting outside in my car across the street or doing repeated "drive-bys" and watching who went in or out (and let me tell you, there is nothing quite as illuminating as realizing that you are now a dedicated stalker of drunks in addition to being a drunk!). But hey, it was working in one sense as I was stalking and not drinking, right?

Second week, I actually went in for three meetings and sat there paralyzed. It was not nearly as frightening as I thought but I was still scared speechless. And in my "working life" I actually speak to large audiences of strangers fairly regularly. Hell, I get PAID to do that sometimes. About some pretty controversial stuff. And I couldn't manage to utter a word in an AA meeting with about twenty like-minded people about a common affliction that affects millions? I was so ashamed of myself.

But I kept going.

And this week---last night---I finally figured, "To hell with it, I am going to speak tonight." So I did. And I prefaced the whole thing with, besides the intro and the 'I'm an alcoholic' bit, by saying that I had no clue what to say, I hadn't really known what to expect, I hadn't really read the Big Book, didn't know if I needed a sponsor,and I was scared sh*tless, in general. I heard myself stuttering and sputtering and knew I was as red as a beet but I forced myself to continue.

And you know what? I feel like I weigh about a ton less now than I did walking into that meeting last night. To say that everyone was understanding, welcoming, and helpful would be the understatement of the year. It was not overwhelming; drunks seem to be very good judges of how much or how little it is going to take to soothe or overwhelm someone...so it was just right. For me.

I don't know why I feel so much better but I do. I went back tonight and I am going to keep going back. Once I opened up, even with all the stammering and stuttering, it was over. All of that fear and all of that needless anxiety was over. Wow...what a freaking relief!!

Anyway---sorry for the long post but for those of you posting here who are scared or skeptical about an AA meeting, don't be. Go. If that's your thing, of course. I don't know if it's mine yet---but I am willing to try everything to get better and I feel so much better today than I did yesterday so that's enough for me at the moment.

Hope everyone is well tonight/today and thanks as always for being here. Another essential part of my recovery and success over the past three weeks has been this lifeline. Every night.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First congrats on day 20!
Sounds like you have some leads & bounds since Africa.
OK the "stalking" of the meetings really did make me LOL!
But Im am so happy to see that you went, I know those same scary feelings, it also took me several meetings to speak, and that is even after being in treatment for a couple weeks.
Now that I am 50 days sober I am starting to feel more comfortable at AA, & feel more comfortable. It is still a little hard to share because I am there with (Im sure like you) people that have many years of sobriety. But Im always welcomes & they all seem to listen & care about what I say.

Im so glad you are expanding your sober support system & the knowing that the more we reach out we realize we are no longer in this Journey alone!
Peace
~Jules
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is awesome and huge!!!

Lots of people posting about how to get themselves to actually go in the meeting and I just know what you wrote above is going to help many!

Thank you for sharing and a big kudos to you for coming so far since Africa.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

what a wonderful share! i know how it feels to finally get up the nerve to speak and have that weight finally lifted. people in AA really are something else. i mean, i am crazy socially awkward and my isolation in alcohol hasn't helped that one bit. i go to AA and afterwards, when i'm talking to strangers, i just let people know that i'm not good with talking to new people so forgive me if i'm awkward. and i feel fine saying that to people in AA because they understand. we're a patient, tolerant and forgiving bunch. it's just such a breath of fresh air in a world that doesn't seem to care a flip about you. AAers care.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go pt. that is awesome x
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
Hi Everyone, just wanted to give an update and also share about my experience with AA.

First off, this is day 20! I can't believe it, really. I can't believe three weeks ago I was sitting in a hotel room in Africa polishing off my third or fourth bottle of wine during the last day of a three day bender thinking that I would never, ever get better. It was a relapse but I had pretty much given up hope that night. SR, and all of you, pulled me through. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know there is A LOT more to be done and that this is a lifetime process and commitment but being sober for three weeks (and really meaning it this time), has opened my eyes to how I have not lived, like really LIVED except in suspended, drunken animation, for at least five years. These three weeks have not been easy but they are a hell of a lot better than being drunk/hungover/guilty/angry/despondent/etc.

On AA: That was the single most frightening thing for me. It wasn't so bad to admit to my family and close friends that I had a serious problem (like it wasn't obvious anyway) or to come here and be among supportive people who had been through similar or the same...but going into a room of strangers and admitting that I am a drunk and need help? Sharing the stuff that I still can barely face and trust that I wouldn't be judged? Hell no, would not, could not, believe it.

But I knew that my first time around (six weeks sober) without outside support had failed. Wasn't too worried about the religious aspect as that has never bugged me one way or the other---live and let live in my book. Also wasn't afraid of seeing people I knew as I live pretty far away from where I work and when you start passing out in public on a regular basis---well, how much more embarrassing can you get than that? The rest of it scared me to death, however.

So I stalked the meetings for a week---sitting outside in my car across the street or doing repeated "drive-bys" and watching who went in or out (and let me tell you, there is nothing quite as illuminating as realizing that you are now a dedicated stalker of drunks in addition to being a drunk!). But hey, it was working in one sense as I was stalking and not drinking, right?

Second week, I actually went in for three meetings and sat there paralyzed. It was not nearly as frightening as I thought but I was still scared speechless. And in my "working life" I actually speak to large audiences of strangers fairly regularly. Hell, I get PAID to do that sometimes. About some pretty controversial stuff. And I couldn't manage to utter a word in an AA meeting with about twenty like-minded people about a common affliction that affects millions? I was so ashamed of myself.

But I kept going.

And this week---last night---I finally figured, "To hell with it, I am going to speak tonight." So I did. And I prefaced the whole thing with, besides the intro and the 'I'm an alcoholic' bit, by saying that I had no clue what to say, I hadn't really known what to expect, I hadn't really read the Big Book, didn't know if I needed a sponsor,and I was scared sh*tless, in general. I heard myself stuttering and sputtering and knew I was as red as a beet but I forced myself to continue.

And you know what? I feel like I weigh about a ton less now than I did walking into that meeting last night. To say that everyone was understanding, welcoming, and helpful would be the understatement of the year. It was not overwhelming; drunks seem to be very good judges of how much or how little it is going to take to soothe or overwhelm someone...so it was just right. For me.

I don't know why I feel so much better but I do. I went back tonight and I am going to keep going back. Once I opened up, even with all the stammering and stuttering, it was over. All of that fear and all of that needless anxiety was over. Wow...what a freaking relief!!

Anyway---sorry for the long post but for those of you posting here who are scared or skeptical about an AA meeting, don't be. Go. If that's your thing, of course. I don't know if it's mine yet---but I am willing to try everything to get better and I feel so much better today than I did yesterday so that's enough for me at the moment.

Hope everyone is well tonight/today and thanks as always for being here. Another essential part of my recovery and success over the past three weeks has been this lifeline. Every night.
I feel exact same AA has saved my life and here there is something about being in a fellowship and the just get it I'm day 20 to ))) congrats on your day 20 omg can u believe it !!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

PT I love what you wrote. I laughed out loud when I read “let me tell you, there is nothing quite as illuminating as realizing that you are now a dedicated stalker of drunks”. It was not so much because the line was so funny as because it was one of the most creative (not to mention brilliant) ways I have ever seen of someone expressing how they did step 1.

Most of all I want to thank you for making it that much easier for someone, who prior to their first meeting, is trying to summon the massive amount of courage it sometimes takes just to put one foot in fount of the other and walk through that door.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Congratulations on your sober time it's always nice to see someone at a meeting just sit up and kinda say 'I have no idea what I'm doing'. It's one of the most frank and honest admissions I have ever seen.

Natom.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Great post- great you are making progress- it does get easier- going back drinking always seems like a good idea at the time !!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Awesome post.

And that first scary meeting is good for a couple of reasons. One--you will know just how newcomers feel when they come in the door--just as the other folks at the meeting understood (because it was once them), and two--you start to see that so many of the things we are terrified of, and paralyzed about, are just the product of our own fears, egos, and imaginings.

Trust the process.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good on ya!! opening up and sayin ya have no clue what to say has to be the biggest act of humility i have heard of in AA. that opens the door to teachability.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post, Pt.

Welcome to recovery.

I found it very hard in the beginning as well as something inside of me knew that I couldn't B.S. God and the oldtimer AAs. it was time that I really had to Poop or get off the pot, and I truly knew that if I didn't Poop I would die..... SOON.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-06-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 20 days Ptc - and I'm really glad AA is helping

D
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ptcapote, I totally get everything you said in your opening post.

I'm just back from my first AA meeting. Apart from introducing myself when they asked if there were any newcomers, I didn't 'share', and it might take me a few days of going to be able to do that. However I LOVED listening to others' 'shares', just awesome. I found myself nodding my head so much, totally getting what others were saying. I talked to some people at the end of the meeting, and everyone was so welcoming and imploring me to keep coming, which I will.

To anyone, scared to go to an AA meeting, I'd say don't be. I was TERRIFIED this morning but there was really no need. It's a bit of a cliche, but true....seeing how 'normal' all these people were blew me away. It's ridiculous when you think about it, but I think lots of us feel like that....what will these people at AA meetings be like? The answer is just like me. Why didn't I get that before now? There were people from all walks of life and from different age groups....really beautiful glamourous women (I'm a woman so I can say that, hehe!) who you'd never BELIEVE had ever had a struggle of any kind, let alone with alcohol. Guys who could be my Dad, really nice family men. I've read all this on here before too but had to see it for myself to believe it.

Anyone putting off going....don't put it off any longer!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So I stalked the meetings for a week
HA! I did that too! I thought I was the only one.

Thanks for the great post.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

PT! I'm soooooo proud of you! I remember your posts from the hotel in Africa and I was there with you that night sharing my experiences of being an "on the road" sober alcoholic.

This is such great news - life has thrown me a few more curveballs since that night but I'm still standing strong. It is very nice to hear you are fighting it and winning day by day.

It helps ME to know that you are doing well...and if next time you find yourself in a hotel with the mini bar and room service booze screaming your name I'm here to listen. I just may do the same as I'm facing another work trip in a few weeks. This last one was a doozy - my room overlooked the rooftop bar. Fabulous, gorgeous people down there drinking pretty cocktails and chatting away while I watched out my window and fought like hell to stay locked in. I did it. But next time I might need some help and it is comforting to know SR is always here when I need it. We are all here for you too!

Well done and I'm glad you are finding some help with AA. It has helped me along the way as well.

Take care...
Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWillWin View Post
PT! I'm soooooo proud of you! I remember your posts from the hotel in Africa and I was there with you that night sharing my experiences of being an "on the road" sober alcoholic.

This is such great news - life has thrown me a few more curveballs since that night but I'm still standing strong. It is very nice to hear you are fighting it and winning day by day.

It helps ME to know that you are doing well...and if next time you find yourself in a hotel with the mini bar and room service booze screaming your name I'm here to listen. I just may do the same as I'm facing another work trip in a few weeks. This last one was a doozy - my room overlooked the rooftop bar. Fabulous, gorgeous people down there drinking pretty cocktails and chatting away while I watched out my window and fought like hell to stay locked in. I did it. But next time I might need some help and it is comforting to know SR is always here when I need it. We are all here for you too!

Well done and I'm glad you are finding some help with AA. It has helped me along the way as well.

Take care...
Thank you IWillWin and I remember you for sure! You said I had helped you stay sober that night and for all of the crap I was feeling at that moment I thought, "Well, maybe I managed to do one good thing out of this entire jacked-up mess..." I can't thank you enough for that.

Good for you resisting the temptation this last trip. Having a room facing the bar? Talk about 24/7 stimulus of the absolutely WRONG kind. And as far as gorgeous people...well, I think we both probably know how "gorgeous" people are after they get a good load on. Not so much at all...us too.

If I can ever be of assistance while you're traveling, please don't ever hesitate. Maybe we can white-knuckle the mini bar and the room service temptations together! I also have a trip coming up in April which will be two weeks back in sub-Saharan Africa and then a week in Spain and a week in Morocco. First time on those last two and while I am not worried about Morocco (tea drinkers unite!), I always pictured myself in Spain eating tapas with a Sangria in hand. Going to have to work hard to adjust that image.

No pre-gaming it yet, though. One day at a time.

Anyway, thanks again for reaching back out and keep in touch---I would love to hear about any tips/strategies that you have developed for sober travel.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Most of all I want to thank you for making it that much easier for someone, who prior to their first meeting, is trying to summon the massive amount of courage it sometimes takes just to put one foot in fount of the other and walk through that door.

Powerful statement, Awuh!! Good stuff!

I'd like to thank you too!! I'm new to the program started last Dec, go everyday.. Love reading these posts.. The program is helping me big time!! Kudos on your 20 days.. That's huge!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Love this thread. I went to a meeting once very new , and it was all men. I thought I had looked at the schedule wrong and that I wasn't suppose to be there because it was a men's only meeting. It wasn't just no women came that night.

It was intimidating..but it was one of the best I've been to. Several old timers . One guy was 20years in! ( I think he just came for the bad coffee and fellowship) But had great things to share and was very interested in what the new people had to say. I left feeling very happy and inspired.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

PT - will do. Traveling is one of the most difficult things for alcoholics, especially those of us who do it for a living and alone. Being out of our elements and regular routines is challenging enough let alone add the fact that booze flows through hotels like an ocean.

I'm so glad my sharing helped you that night - and believe me, I was not kidding when I said your post helped me stay sober. It did. And I did. And I have been for 6 whole months now with at least 4 trips under my belt. Every trip poses new challenges but I'm learning one by one.

I will leave you with this tip - if the cost of the in room movie that will keep you in the room and sober for 2 hours is troubling (I cringe at spending 16.99 on a flick!) just remember you would spend probably 100 bucks on booze if you were to go downstairs or hit the mini instead and not even blink an eye. Every dime I've spent on in room movies was worth it. Oh, for clarification - my job pays for all expenses except movies and booze while I travel so it's MY money when I buy those things. I've turned frugal in my sobriety. Go figure. LOL!

I'm on here everyday just about soaking up all the experience, strength and hope I can and I look forward to hearing about your progress with AA.

Best,
IWW