Notices

7 Week's and 2 day's but hard,dont fill like me any more

Old 03-02-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 Week's and 2 day's but hard,dont fill like me any more

Well still sober,and it's been hard so much has happed since I last posted,i was in a bad place.

Some time's when on me own I think I could have a drink and no one would no I haven't been this sober for 20 years and im only 34,but I would no if I have one that's it down the dark road and the prospect of death becaue's the doctor said I can never drink again.

Im not the person I no,it's strange people say im different for good or bad, hope who are sober stay sober and people who stil and trying stay stong
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Good to see you posting Dagger ,
7 weeks and 2 days

The person who would know if you drank would be you . As you say it only leads to early death and more pain .

Stick with it , it feels a bit unusual to settle into a non-drinking life . keep an eye open for hobbies and pastimes you can do sober and learning how other people live good long sober lives . I'm on week 78 and am working at it , it's worth it .

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

When I got clean I had no idea who I was. I was really used to the 'old me'. Problem is that the old me was addict me and it wasn't really me at all. Even before I became addicted to drugs I had no clue who I was. Now I'm beginning to know the real me for the first time.

It's strange at first but eventually you will learn to deal with and like the new you. Keep going a day at a time and more will be revealed.

Natom.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Something shocking I realized in recovery was that I am human. I am now allowing myself to have human experiences and discovering that no matter how odd, unique, awkward or misplaced I feel, it's not out of the ordinary for humans to feel this way!

People who don't drink or drug share that they have the same feelings as I do. They often feel they don't know who they are, or they are not who they were 6 months ago. That they don't enjoy the same activities they did and aren't sure what to do with themselves. Wow...I thought I felt that way because I was an addict, then because I was a sober addict, then I realized I feel those things because I am human, and it's part of the human experience.

I ran, fought, resisted, denied and raged against my humanity for decades before I decided to give myself a chance; to give my own humanity a chance.

The "now what?" and "I got sober for THIS?" feelings in early recovery were very powerful. Sometimes they still are, but I do see now that those are human feelings. I know people who worked their butt off for a promotion who find themselves asking that question. Who got an advanced degree and now don't know what to do with it, don't even want to be in that field anymore, or amassed an enviable collection of something, and look at it one day and it no longer interests them.

One of the difficult things in getting sober, in even deciding whether I wanted to be sober, was the fact that I identified with being an addict and with my life as an addict. I had to be ready to not only leave that behind, but allow myself the awkward "now what?" and "who am I?" stages, and now the obstacle course of finding out who I am. But that really and truly is part of life's work for everyone. It's not a sign of failure or something to be terrified of, even though it can be very unsettling. I know now, that it's just life.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 7 weeks! This is quite an accomplishment!

We go through a lot of emotional changes in the first year, stay strong and know you are doing your body good by not drinking!!

Keep moving forward!!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Dagger, 7 Week's and 2 day's but hard,dont fill like me any more? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Dagger the new you is coming. At 2 years 7 months sober, much of the worry is subsiding. Rootin for ya.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dagger, I wasn't the person I thought I was either. When I stopped drinking, everything had fallen away and I realized a lot of the things I believed about myself were not true. I had to start to rebuild, to listen to my soul, to the quiet voice that gave me direction.

Recovery is a journey and I think you will learn more and more things about yourself as you move along.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Something shocking I realized in recovery was that I am human. I am now allowing myself to have human experiences and discovering that no matter how odd, unique, awkward or misplaced I feel, it's not out of the ordinary for humans to feel this way!

People who don't drink or drug share that they have the same feelings as I do. They often feel they don't know who they are, or they are not who they were 6 months ago. That they don't enjoy the same activities they did and aren't sure what to do with themselves. Wow...I thought I felt that way because I was an addict, then because I was a sober addict, then I realized I feel those things because I am human, and it's part of the human experience.

I ran, fought, resisted, denied and raged against my humanity for decades before I decided to give myself a chance; to give my own humanity a chance.

The "now what?" and "I got sober for THIS?" feelings in early recovery were very powerful. Sometimes they still are, but I do see now that those are human feelings. I know people who worked their butt off for a promotion who find themselves asking that question. Who got an advanced degree and now don't know what to do with it, don't even want to be in that field anymore, or amassed an enviable collection of something, and look at it one day and it no longer interests them.

One of the difficult things in getting sober, in even deciding whether I wanted to be sober, was the fact that I identified with being an addict and with my life as an addict. I had to be ready to not only leave that behind, but allow myself the awkward "now what?" and "who am I?" stages, and now the obstacle course of finding out who I am. But that really and truly is part of life's work for everyone. It's not a sign of failure or something to be terrified of, even though it can be very unsettling. I know now, that it's just life.
Well said Threshold.. All of us are human being. It is normal to feel some way or loose intrest in something.. It may not be becasue we are sober now.. It happens to every one.. We must change the association of each and everything , being caused by non-use of alcohol.. Recovery may not always bring roses but it will defintely not add more thorns, which were being added when we were drinking.