Notices

forgiveness

Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

forgiveness

like many of us, i've done a lot of dumb things & made major mistakes in life due to drinking.

how do i find forgiveness for myself and from others?

i need to put the old me behind me, but it seems some people continue to bring it up?

any thoughts or help with this would be appreciated, it's a pretty big deal, i know.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First quit judging yourself.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi friendly.

I am so glad that you posted this, because this same issue has been on my mind a lot lately. I find that forgiving myself is the greater challenge.

I hope that you find some words of wisdom.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If others don't forgive you and continue to bring up past issues, I would step away and stay away. There is no way that can be helpful for you.

Forgiving yourself is often very hard. I know for me it's been an ongoing process. Journalling has helped me a lot, and it's also helpful to read spiritual books by authors like Louise Hay, Deepak Chopra, Marianne Williamson and Gary Zukav.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi friendlyone. That's a great question - and a problem that haunted me & almost kept me from staying sober. I agree with Anna - step away from those who continue to dwell on the past - especially when they know you're trying to recover.

I tried my best to educate those who thought alcoholism was a character flaw. Most normal drinkers just don't - or won't - understand what we've been through. That's why sharing our feelings here is so helpful. I hope you'll keep reading and posting. We're glad to have you here.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i don't want to complicate the problem by trying to go in to detail, but just the fact that anyone said anything is helpful. staying focused on forgiveness is helping right now for me.

there is a lot of good people here who can identify with this issue. forgiveness seems key.
i need it so much right now.

anyone who's had success with this, please feel free to respond.