Notices

Trying to quit for Lent...

Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to quit for Lent...

Hi. I am new at this.
I read some of the postings and decided to sign up to this site.

I like wine too may - way too much. I am educated, have a good job and the drinking hasn't affected my job at all. I do not drink during the day but certainly enjoy a glass of wine in the evening to wind down. When marital problems began, my husband started with vodka on the rocks when he got home, then it was 2-3 glasses of wine.

My drinking got worse to numb the emotions. Instead of a glass of wine, it has been two.

I was on medication a few months ago and could NOT have any alcohol for 14 days. I felt so good and lost 8 pounds that I didn't drink for another week. Then I went to a party and it started all over again and now I'm back to 2 glasses of wine a night.

Lent is my starting point.....
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Darla

D
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you... I don't know where to start with this Any tips would be helpful.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Our Class of February, for everyone quitting this month, is not a bad place to start.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-3.html

D
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi darla! In my experience, as a former wine lover, current wine hater, if alcohol is causing problems in your life, take the plunge and eliminate the alcohol, and deal with the underlying issues. Scary as it may be, it may just save your life. Welcome aboard! Read the posts and decide if you want what all these awesome people with continuos sobriety have-- freedom!!!! Best wishes!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Welcome Darla,

I'm new here too. Just jump in! Read through posts, and if you read something that you can relate to, then respond. Sharing with and supporting other people in the same boat has been really helpful for me, and I'm sure it will be for you, too.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Darla

I started off quitting for Lent too. I used something called AVRT to help get over the start point, because I had tried many times to quit but couldn't. That really helped me. If you google 'the crash course AVRT' you should get all the information you need. Glad you're here x
Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The idea of quitting for lent played a significant role in my sobriety, and my understanding of alcoholism. My best drinking buddy was able to do it, no problem. I couldn't do it. Tried last 4 years of my drinking. My inability to quit for lent, made it pretty clear to me that I had a problem. My friends ability to do it, convinced him he had no problem. I wound up getting help and enjoyed the last 28 years of my life sober. He is still my friend, and a slave to alcohol, in contless ways. His life consists of working his day job, and drinking. Drinking is his passtime, his enjoyment, and his social life. He drinks every single night, and seems to have no desire whatsoever to ever stop. He can't socialize any more because he inevitably winds up drunk and making a fool of himself in one way or another, and his dayjob is one that makes these things dangerous for his career. Don't really want to write about him anymore. Feels wrong as we're still pretty close buddies. Bottom lin is that I'm completely free. He's handcuffed to a bottle, and it's sad.