Notices

And Act of God Brings Me to ER

Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And Act of God Brings Me to ER

My tremors just got so bad I cannot eat without spilling everything, or write to make it legible. Given my history of seizure I decided to go to hospital ER. Wating for a room. Let you know if they make me they make stay over night or how long it will take. Thanks for your concern. Should have gone yesterday as was recommended. But the good news is my delay allowed me to meet a new guy from my AA group. He drove me. I didn't want to risk it. He is sober 39 years since entered when he was 17! He said, "God always does something for a reason." He was very nice guy, as I you have in your groups. Lesson God is sending to me: Accept the signals I am sending you; don't let pride cometh before the fall -- and break, your, nose, body and soul.A
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

John, that was a wise and commendable decision. I hope that you feel better soon. Once past this, you dont ever need to feel like this again, if you choose not to. Best of luck!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck to you
Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. I'm a guerny waiting for a room. Lost of elderly people and children here in ER.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad you went John, please keep us posted as to how you are doing
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you feel better and I'm so glad you're getting the care you need.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes John

D
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

John: You're not the only one here that's been through this! Best wishes!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

John, Thanks for letting us know. We're there with you in spirit. Glad you are getting help. I know there'll be a happy ending to all this.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MJD, I'm so glad you're there. So many times people coming here going through that and I just wish they'd go to the hospital and get medical attention, I'm so glad you're going. I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful journey for you. You deserve so much better than what you have been going through. Hang in there and keep coming back.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

39 years sober and still helping drunks. He has twice as much time in AA as he had from his birth till he joined, and he’s still helping people! Let him be an example to you of what AA is all about. May you return the favor to newcomers …. in spades, just as I’m sure he has done.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

John, good for you for getting help. I'm sure it wasn't easy, but it may be life saving. I'm so glad you met your new friend too, he sounds like he will be very supportive for you. Let us know how you're doing...hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Here's what happened. I waited in the ER for about 3 hours. A nurse give a pill of libirum, which proceeded to make me feel drunker than I ever was in real life. Hour later, she comes back and gives me papers saying to tell my doctor, and sign up for outpatient counseling at this local place. So leave the ER Room, my AA friend picks me up, takes me to CVS, to get an emergency dose in case that wasn't enough, and then took me home. All the while, I'm walking as if I'm a stumbling drunk, which I've never walked like. Librium is some strong stuff. All in all the ER room personnel was about as compassionate as the IRS. They wouldn't share any information with me about my blood test or anything else. Since they didn't think it was medically necessary for me to stay overnight, it couldn't have been that bad. I pleaded with them for more information, and they no. Go home. It was a bit upsetting to me, but it was the only place to go to get the preventative medicine I needed to stop the tremors. When drinking, I never had as bad a hangover as Librium has given me. I just hope what they did was enough. The ER was so packed, they spent no more than 5 minutes on me, at least to my face. So does Today still count as Day 5 even though I got the Librium?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
now's the time

I was in the ER two weeks ago and they were much nicer to me than what you describe (it helped that it was the middle of the night and no one was there) but they weren't particularly compassionate... I definitely felt like I was a child being scolded. It's really strange that they wouldn't share your test results with you, though. You should ask your doctor to contact them for your results because that's important to know.

I think it definitely still counts as day five... taking meds to keep you from having seizures, even if they make you loopy, is not recreational drug use!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Does anyone know if a hospital has legal authority to compel you to detox? They seemed too be merely recommending it. I have 6 job interviews coming up in the next two weeks, and I am trying to sell my house. I don't see how they have the legal authority to compel me to spend 3 months anywhere.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It may vary from state to state but I believe commitment usually takes two doctors and a showing that you are a danger to yourself or others. The patient is entitled to a judicial hearing after a brief period of observation. My impression is that judicial commitments are used only in relatively extreme cases since doctors may be reluctant to expose themselves to possible legal consequences. Patients are usually encouraged to sign voluntary commitments, which are revocable.

W.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I interviewed with 2 places, and they pretty much said the same thing. They also said that, in their opinion, the the 90-day inpatient facility the hospital was trying to steer me toward was inappropriate for my needs. Which is good because I have a number of job interviews scheduled in the next month.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sounds like a frustrating experience, MJD, but at least you got checked out and won't have a stroke or seizure. I've been treated with the same lack of understanding/compassion by medical staff too. It's hurtful when we've reached out for help.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe just keep living life and start attending AA meetings so you can find a sponsor and work those 12 steps of recovery. Maybe that guy with 39 years can sponsor you?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am glad you got the librium. I took that when I was in detox. Did make me really sleepy. I wouldn't start counting over from day 1 but that's for you to decide. I am sorry you had a crappy experience but so glad you went because it's better to be safe. I would def keep reaching out to that AA friend of yours, sounds like he will be a good support for you.