Notices

Day 14

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14

Two weeks into my changed relationship with alcohol. Wowza. I feel really really good. It's not easy and I'm not going to pretend it is. It's still such a big part of my life and I'm not ready to put into the past tense yet. I hope one day I will but that day isn't here. I can say, however, that I am honestly looking forward to another day of sobriety. It's amazing. It's only in the absence of alcohol I realise how present it is. Good luck to everyone on their own particular journey and I look forward to reading and posting here for the foreseeable future x
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!! That's wonderful!!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations, Caravagio!

You should just keep feeling better now!

Here is a time-line for recovery from the dual-diagnosis recovery program at Chelan Community Hospital, Washington. It is from 2006, and so there may be some new information (NB, I have modified this according to NA Clarity Statement so I don't say "alcohol and drugs"; alcohol is a drug. I left in a few other "errors").

What to Expect in Stabilization through Discovery Phase of Recovery

1. The chemically dependent person's body will catch up on REM (dream) sleep, missed during active addiction.

2. Nightmares and restlessness often result from withdrawal and disruptive sleep patterns induced by the addictive lifestyle and the drugs.

3. There is usually difficulty with short-term memory. One can lay something down and a moment later forget what he did with it.

4. Over-reaction to physical, emotional, and mental stresses is common. A sense of numbness may also occur, in which the emotions feel shut down.

5. Feelings may "roller coaster." Mood swings rapidly changing from high to low to high again through the day.

6. Depression, anxiousness, fear, anger, shame and guilt may interrupt the sense of hope and relief found in treatment and the 12-step programs.

7. Physical coordination is often compromised. One may suddenly find herself clumsy and awkward. Perhaps spilling things and tripping over objects.

8. Difficulty concentrating and staying focused is also a common problem.

9. Repetitive thinking may make you feel insanity is lurking in your brain. It's often referred to as brain racing. It especially occurs at night when trying to go to sleep.

As your body and mind struggle to stay "above water" keep these facts in mind.
Recovery is a slow process but it is a process and will have benefits beyond the first few weeks.
Recovery from the damage to the central nervous system requires from six months to two years of healthy recovery, meaning nutrition, exercise, sleep pattern and meeting pattern need to be routine.
All changes produce stress. Even positive change requires patience and reliance on the programs. During the first two years it is advised that you reduce stress by keeping your life simple.
Make only necessary changes. Major changes should be avoided for a while if possible.
The biggest change you need to focus on is the changes happening in you. Enlist the help of the program members and your sponsor to help you through the process.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 2 weeks

D
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well Done. Keep up the great work!
Glad your still going strong, One day at a time~
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats! Keep it up. Only on day 2 here, having been somewhere around day 14 a few months ago I know that is a great jumping off point. For me the physical stuff had gone away for the most part and it was just strange to adjust sometimes. My goal is to get to where you are and then recommit to a long term quit.