Notices

My valentine story

Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Talking My valentine story

I digress from the typical alcohol post for a moment to share an indelible moment of my youth.

Mrs Patchers second grade class. Public school #4. Young Ken... Aka Kenny at the time.

The teacher would cover a big box with heart paper for St. Valentine's day. It was for valentine cards each kid could send to each other in class to wish you happy valentines day. A brutal idea.

My mother, in her infinite wisdom, got a cheap pack of cards with the customary heart, cupid and arrow design. Had me sit at the kitchen table and sign my name on each of the 20+ cards. One for each of my classmates. Then tuck them in each envelope with no name on the front.

I said "mom? How will they know who's is who's?"

"Just give one to each of them" she told me.

Kenny was off to school with cards in hand. Runs to the box to put them in... and waits.

Two delivery kids are assigned to bring the cards to your desk after the teacher pulls it from the box and reads the name on the card.

This went well until they got to a blank card. She looks at it and asks who's it is? I said nothing. She pulls more out and continues until the next blank card. I raised my hand and tried to explain but the revelry in the room was to much and they simply delivered all the blank cards to me.

I went home that day with one card more than I arrived at school with. Evelyn in the first row sent me a card. Guess it only takes one I suppose.

That's my valentine story. I think of that every year and cannot help but smile. God rest my mother. She was a pip.

Happy valentines day SR!

K
Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cute story Ken. Yup those class boxes, were brutal.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Loved it, Ken. It's a wonder we survive those years, and live to tell the tale.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How cute! Great story Ken. Happy valentines!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In college I used to volunteer in the special needs classrooms of an elementary school. As a fundraiser, one special needs class decide to run a valentine's special delivery where you could pay a dollar and have candy/pencil/valentine card sent to one of your friends. In class I heard one kid say that he couldn't wait for Valentine's Day because he was sure that he would get a ton of cards and candy. His classmate just turned to him and said nonchalantly, "But, we are in the special ed class. No one likes us. We probably won't get any". Hearing that broke my heart. I went to the cafeteria and bought every single one of them a special delivery valentine. Looking back on, I am sure that they cared more about the candy than anything else. :-)
Now when it is Valentine's Day, I make sure to give all my students something and let them know that I love them. I don't care about any of the other sh*t, like roses, fancy dinners,etc., because in my book, giving love is more important.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice post. Happy Valentines Day!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is so sweet SK. I agree!

There are just some things that never leave you. It was the first time I ever felt that type of pain. For a youngster I had a lot of them. LOL... but here I am all the wiser!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Funny story Ken. Happy Valentines Day.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
My students bring a card/note for each student. It doesn't take $, as I explain the handmade ones can be the most special. I give them a "free homework pass". That's like gold around these parts ha!

Today my kids are most excited about cupcakes and "no work" in the afternoon. I must say I wholeheartedly agree

Your story shows just how profound some events can be in our lives...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love the story "Kenny"!! The dreaded elementary school Valentine box...I remember it well. It even carried through to my middle school and high school years...yuck. It was always a recipe for a low self-esteem day for me.

I know your Mom meant well, bless her heart!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sober.... You must be the most awesomist teacher!

SF....yes... Low self esteem day is what it should be called.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Aww bless Evelyn for sending you a card!
How lovely.
My grandma is named Evelyn.

I am still in touch with the boy I 'married' in the pre-school play corner when I was 4 years old.He liked me because my pigtails were never neat like the other little girls.

Maybe I should of, he's a neurosurgeon now!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Happy valentine , one and all , yo ho ho , slap my thigh . i love you all .

Bestwishes, M