Notices

Going through the steps w/o a sponsor

Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going through the steps w/o a sponsor

My sponsor is on holidays for another 4 weeks, one member of our very small group, he has been sober 10 years has hit bottom, he has never done the steps.

he is staying with me for a few days while he sorts stuff out. I am stuck on step 8.
So we both decided to take this opportunity to work through the steps together, my sponsor said that this would be appropriate.
My sponsor left me with, " A program for you".
So I am thinking that we should use the BB, 12and 12. Read them together discuss any points that are relevant to us.
Step 4 and step 8 are the kickers.

I think we should take a couple of minutes before we begin to ask for guidance, whether we do this silently or as a formal prayer out loud. I personally prefer the former as I would like to quiet my mind down before we proceed.

Thoughts anyone.

My AA buddy is in a very low space at the moment and I need to tread lightly and listen a lot to his woes, he does realize though that the steps will be his salvation

CaiHong
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would suggest you read the Big Book together. When they say "We did this" or "we did that" or the Book gives a direction stop reading and do exactly what it says.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today we spent about 4 to 5 hours on the first three steps. My AA buddy read the BB as English is his second language and I thought it better if he reads. After a chapter I would read the relevant 12x12. I also read the Joe and Charlie book which my AA buddy got a lot out of. We confirmed our powerlessness and unmanageability and our willingness to let God direct our lives and to make conscious contact everyday, throughout the day with him.
We both felt happy with what we had achieved and closer to the program. Tomorrow we will spend the rest of the day on step 4.

CaiHong
Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yesterday we read the big book, the 12 x12 and joe and Charlie's book on step 4. We are going to do an inventory and meet up again and do step 5 together

My AA buddy is already feeling so much better and has returned home and feels better equipped to cope with the situation.

CaiHong