Notices

new to this

Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to this

Today I officially have three days sober. I have had an interesting life and never really considered myself and alcoholic just someone who liked to drink and experiment. During college I really experimented with both drugs and alcohol. I met a guy when I was 17 and this is really where my life started to change and go downhill. I fell in love fast and slowly realized this guy was good at manipulating me as well as introduce me to cocaine and crack. I only did these drugs once or twice, but by allowing him to be abusive to me for four years (I lived with him) I began to drink slowly at first- but then it quickly turned into a almost daily habit. I began to weave drinking into almost everything I did- I worked and came home and the first thing I would do was make a drink. I would have a few and then my tolerance grew. I only drank vodka in fruity drinks or cranberry juice and never liked any other type of alcohol so I didn't think I had a problem. When I drink at first it seems ok but then slowly I drink more and more and drink so much that I even black out. I don't know why I kept drinking even after I was feeling drunk. I just like the drunk feeling too much I guess- until I'm really drunk then I feel guilty and confused. I met a guy who was in recovery and I drank in front of him a few times and it really does take one to know one because he politely told me I had an issue and I didn't believe him at first, but then really looked at my life and my mistakes in life. Almost every drama filled experience, fight, heartache, or mistake has come after I have had too much to drink. This guy isn't talking to me to put I'm assuming his recovery first. I am going to do the same even though I miss him a lot. I do see him at some meetings and have talked to him a few brief times. I am going to focus on myself and learn who I am as a person when I am sober and learn how to focus and deal with these feelings and just get comfortable walking through life sober. It isn't easy but it does feel good to know I am going to be the best person that I can be and my good will come my way- whatever is meant to be will be. I have a good job, great family, and awesome dog. I am young - 22 and have a lot to be thankful for- I do wish this guy would give me another chance but it is up to him and I am ok with that. I am excited to get to know myself and really develop my own sense of identity.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Melanie. I'm glad you found SR.

This part of your post really stuck out to me:

"but then really looked at my life and my mistakes in life. Almost every drama filled experience, fight, heartache, or mistake has come after I have had too much to drink"

I believe you're in the right place. Do you have a plan in place to address your alcohol issue?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lovely heartfelt post, thankyou for sharing welcome and good luck
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Big welcome hug for you Melanie

You'll find a lot of encouragement and support.

Well done for taking the step to share a bit of your story...taking action is what gets us to where we want to be. Be proud of yourself for doing that
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Melanie. Welcome and thank you for sharing. This site is very helpful and you'll get lots of support here!