Notices

I need to let these things go ahhhhh!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to let these things go ahhhhh!

hi deek alkie,
Here are some of things that I have to let go of based on my own self examination .

*The need to always be right.
Being right all the time is tied in with my self esteem.I used to think that if I was wrong that it meant I was wrong,that there was something wrong with me, but that is not true........

I am human like everyone else. If I don't seek the humility to admit I am sometimes wrong I will probably find it difficult to recover.........

*The need to control things.
This program is teaching me how to let go. I use the Serenity prayer and the 3rd Step many times a day, cuz when I try to control anything Serenity is the first thing I lose..........

*Blaming other people.
I have to start to take responsibility for my own life. I see blaming as an excuse to avoid taking responsibility for myself.........

*Guilt.
I believe it serves no good purpose. I take what I can and learn from it and try not to repeat. Guilt is not gonna change anything, it's a useless emotion unless you are willing to change.

Then I call it remorse.......
Feeling bad about what you did and taking action to change.But not wallowing in self pity over it...

*Limiting my potential.
If I am willing to settle for the bare minimum in recovery, only going to one meeting a week, not calling my sponsor, not working the steps,not praying, then that is what I am gonna end up with..........

Very little serenity and little recovery.I need to break through these limits I impose on myself........

*Complaining about life
All that happens when I complain about life is that I create negativity and it drains me of my drive.I can easily fall into stinking thinking and it becomes the start of another relapse..........

*Being Judgemental,
It is a trait I can not afford. Most people are doing the best they can.I have not walked in their shoes. I just need to worry about myself and do the best I can today......

*Trying to impress people.
If I wanna impress people I will do it more by being myself cuz people will see through that crap.I no longer need the approval of others. It's no longer about what others think it's about how I feel, it's about self acceptance.........
For me it's about living up to what I believe God would want me to be to the best of my ability.How do I know what he wants me to live up to? I read the Bible daily. He makes it pretty clear. But that's just me..........

*Fighting Change.
I used to hate change and I do fight it but once I give up fighting and open up my mind to a new way. Good things begin to happen.........
*Putting labels on people.
When I put labels on people or things it is really just my way of avoiding the fact that I don't understand something or I find it threatening..........

*Excuses.
I have to stop making excuses. All excuses have done for me is to help me do the next wrong thing..........

*Obsessing about the past.
Yesterday is history. tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That is why it is called the present. I can't change the past, only today and that will change my future.....

Grudges and resentments.
Everyone has been hurt at one time or another.I can't change the past and I am powerless over the insensitivity of others but not how I think , feel and react today............

*Living life to please others.
Boy I was a people pleaser to the extreme. I would often act out in ways that went against all my values just to be liked. Today I stick to my own convictions. I live to please God and that's it..........

Negative thinking.
One of the worst things for my recovery. Because it takes on a snowball effect and I begin to see the negative in everything. I pay close attention to my thoughts and am very aware of my feelings......
And the list goes on......

My life wasn't pretty and still isn't somedays there was and are a lot of unhealthy thinking and behaviors I carry around. I came up with a lot of reasons to drink .Thank God for the steps of this program........

The Steps are changing my life,what are you not letting go that is getting in the way of your sobriety? Thanks