Arrow Big Book Quote for 2/5/2013

*~*~*~*~*^ BigBookQuote^*~*~*~*~*

"...with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a
spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely
grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings
we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity
of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die."

~ Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition How It Works pg. 66~
c Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, INC.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I didn't think I had many resentments, I felt I resented myself the most. But upon doing my 4th step, and continuing to do my 10th step, I realize that I am still a pretty resentful person. My perspective has sure changed, but deep down I am still struggling with a lot of fear stemming from all sorts of things. How do I practice more faith? I don't know if that is possible. Faith isn't an action...it's a state of being. This has to come from experience. I don't think I've had enough time to properly experience it and put it into perspective. I'd sure love to, though. Maybe I'm over thinking it again, making myself unable to see this.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

[I]"infinitely grave" "fatal" "we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die"[/I]

You think getting rid of resentments might be just a little important?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to think I didn't have many resentments either. I thought I was really good at taking responsibility for myself and my actions and taking the blame ... Often too 'good' at taking the blame. And then I started noticing them ... All these tiny little things as well as larger things continually infiltrate my thinking! It's agonising and destructive.

To hold on to resentments - is to hold on to the past - is to hold on to the pain - is to feed the monster.

So I keep asking the air for help to let go. Sometimes I visualise throwing each intruder into the air to get carried away.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

the last 4th step I did I found over 500 resentments
and under each resentment was a fear
those fears boiled down to about 8 or 10 basic fears
causing all the trouble
then my big book sponsor pointed out something
a solution to fear right in the book under my nose

We ask Him to remove our fear and direct our attention to what He would have us be. At once, we commence to outgrow fear.
I am very thankful for good big book sponsorship

quotes from the 1st edition of alcoholics anonymous
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"We ask Him to remove our fear and direct our attention to what He would have us be. At once, we commence to outgrow fear. "

One of my favorite and probably most used prayer in the book.

Indeed, fear is the underlying cause of just about every resentment Ive ever had or will have. it is the "evil and corroding thread" no doubt.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I love you and truly thank you all for your ongoing big book thumping. It really is awesome. My sponsor is the same way...he will point out the most obvious answer in the book to me quite often. He's a funny man, carrying around his leather bound BB with him everywhere.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by strenusous effort to face, and to be rid of , the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liqour was but a symptom.

Resentments is the "number one " offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else.

We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick.

Referring to our list again. Putting out of our minds the wrongs others had done , we resolutely looked for our own mistakes. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking, and frightened?..

99% of every wrong in my life was enterily of ME doing it.. I am so glad to work on such things today..

Resentments are like me drinking posion and hoping for you to die..

Well I drank posion for decades and was slowly diying ,, I will not let anyone else ever have that much power..
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
"We ask Him to remove our fear and direct our attention to what He would have us be. At once, we commence to outgrow fear. "

One of my favorite and probably most used prayer in the book.

Indeed, fear is the underlying cause of just about every resentment Ive ever had or will have. it is the "evil and corroding thread" no doubt.
yup - that prayer has become quite powerful stuff in my arsenal. After doing a second 4th and 5th, fears dominated, and so this prayer really helps to get me in touch and out of self...and I really love the part of what He would have us be...talk about not running the show ourselves.