Notices

Question about books?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about books?

Hello,

I need some help in figuring out size differences in the smaller AA books. In particular would anyone know what the differences are between gift editions, travel editions & pocket size editions? I am looking at book covers for the small sized Big Book & 12 and 12. Some say gift, some say travel and some pocket. I have not purchased the books yet but the cover I want to order states travel size but provides no dimensions. Any help on figuring this out would really be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe look on amazon? They should have measurements under the product details part.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pocket size BB=Big Book Size: 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 1/2"

Pocket 12 and 12 : 12&12=3 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 3/8"

Portable (Travel?) BB=Book Size: 4 1/2" x 7" x 1 1/8"

Mini BB Book Size: 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 1/2"
Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. The problem is that this specific manufacturer lists this as a travel edition dual book cover with no dimensions. It offers the books as well but they are more expensive than the ones I can get from area book stall. I guess I will break down and call the manufacturer when they open as they are on the west coast. I have never seen the books sold as travel editions only pocket, gift and portable. Oh well I feel even more confused now.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Call the company that I pm'd to you. I think they might be able to help. Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All I know is that my pocket sized 12x12 fits in my back pocket of my Levi's.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok I emailed the manufacturer and they responded back that they fit the pocket sized books. Of course they added that they carry the books too.

So I have a couple of more questions? I purchased a pocket size mini edition of the alcoholics anonymous big book how is this different from the pocket sized big book itself? This has the first 164 pages of the big book plus other info and is published by anonpress.org. The reason I ask is I was given the dimensions of a half inch thick on the pocket sized big book and the one I have is exactly the same in dimensions. So I would not want to purchase something I already have. Also at my Sunday night meeting a gentlemen next to me said I should start coming to the big book meeting that he attends. He stated that they go through the first 164 pages and then start over. Why is this? What about the rest of the big book?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The first 164 pages are where the AA program is laid out. The personal stories change from one edition to the next, but the first 164 pages never changes. Over the years AA has removed some of the personal stories and replaced them with others to more accurately represent the current membership. The latest (Fourth) edition has stories by people who are gay, younger, racial and cultural minorities, etc.

The stories come and go with the changing membership--the first 164 pages are forever.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
The first 164 pages are where the AA program is laid out. The personal stories change from one edition to the next, but the first 164 pages never changes. Over the years AA has removed some of the personal stories and replaced them with others to more accurately represent the current membership. The latest (Fourth) edition has stories by people who are gay, younger, racial and cultural minorities, etc.

The stories come and go with the changing membership--the first 164 pages are forever.
So it would be safe to say that the pocket edition I have will suffice and I will only need a pocket 12 & 12? The one I have has the first 164 pages, the original manuscript, index, translations and intergroup phone list but no personal stories. I am filling out my bookstore order form in advance so I will leave that option blank and then check out the pocket size BB when I get there and compare it to what I have now.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, I think it's worth owning (and reading) the BIG copy of the BB, too, but the pocket edition is perfect for carrying around with you.

At a meeting (or at your Intergroup literature office), you can pick up the big edition of the BB for a little over 7 bucks.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, I think it's worth owning (and reading) the BIG copy of the BB, too, but the pocket edition is perfect for carrying around with you.

At a meeting (or at your Intergroup literature office), you can pick up the big edition of the BB for a little over 7 bucks.
Yes, I am planning on getting a BB this weekend at the book stall along with the pocket size 12 & 12. I will just use the BB pocket that I have now for the dual cover I ordered. I saw a leather bound BB Study edition on Ebay but I am unsure if it will fit in a dual book cover. I have found a dual book cover that I really want but it is out of stock until April per the manufacturer. I asked them to put me on a list if they have one and they said they would do there best to hold one for me but to check each week to see if they have come in.

I was able to get a new hardback 12&12 online yesterday for about two dollars less than what the book stall sells it for and I got free shipping. So not a bad deal for 5 bucks. The meeting I have attended so far only use the 12 & 12 and one meeting we just read from the 24 hours a day book and then the rest is open discussion.

I have been looking for step workbooks and have not found anything yet that anyone could recommend for me. My sponsor does a much more simplified way of going through the steps. She does it the way it was done with her. I want to be thorough but I also don't want to overdue it as I have a tendency to be overly detailed.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by AngelBabe View Post

I have been looking for step workbooks and have not found anything yet that anyone could recommend for me. My sponsor does a much more simplified way of going through the steps. She does it the way it was done with her. I want to be thorough but I also don't want to overdue it as I have a tendency to be overly detailed.
Yup - keep it simple. It was difficult for me to do that at first - still like to complicate things if you give me enough time - but it's important to follow sponsor's directions. Don't get overly caught up in mechanics and over-analyzing. I see some do that and they wonder why they aren't getting relief and freedom through working the steps! Thorough is one thing, paralysis by analysis is another.