Notices

"Buddy system" or "Sponsor"

Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Buddy system" or "Sponsor"

Hey guys,

I know this is an American made site and probably won't have overly many resources or info in regards to getting into recovery groups or sober buddies.

But I thought just in case there was some Aussies on here that could give me some info on how I'd get a sponsor or connect with a buddy to help stay sober and just chat and relate to each other about what we're going through.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm an American myself, but I would dare to say there are just as many Aussies on here as there are Americans.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lets hope so!

I've really found this site helpful with questions and support so far.

I'd like to establish what people locally would call the best support groups and buddies systems etc etc from experience
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am not from Oz, but have spent LOTS of time 'down under' and I can tell you that I have friends there from my first trip in '86 and made more each time I have gone. Some are sober alcoholics that I met in AA meetings and some are just 'normies, lmao. Yes have some friends that I have known for almost 27 years now. We still talk on the phone and have wonderful visits when I go there, or they come to America for visits.

I have it in the works to return to Oz in late October or early November and will be there for 3 to 4 months and maybe longer. I will be doing some traveling around at first to meet some of the folks I have met on here, lmao and then I will settle in my beloved Alice for most of the remainder of my stay. I will be celebrating Xmas and New Years in Oz. yippee

This will be my 14th trip, the other 13 being anywhere in length from 6 weeks to about 3 months. This one I know will be the longest yet!!!

In early recovery I found it extremely helpful to getting to know some sober folks in AA and becoming friends with them and calling and talking about recovery or going out for coffee after a meeting, also doing 'things' with sober friends. I remember, at about 8 months there were 5 of us that had all found recovery the same year in a 6 week period, and we started going bowling at a bowling alley that had a night that was not devoted to league bowling. We had a blast. I can also tell you that 4 of those 5 remained sober and are sober to this day, just like me.

So yes some sober friends can help a lot. I don't believe they do 'sponsoring' in SMART like is done in AA, but there again you can find some sober folks that could be a mentor and/or a friend.

All I can say is try it, it won't hurt your recovery and will probably be a great help to be able to have contact with others that know what you are going through.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lots of Aussies are here, including one of the mods, Dee. They'll be along shortly.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Lots of Aussies are here, including one of the mods, Dee. They'll be along shortly.
Dee is from Australia? I thought he was from the south seas!