Notices

That sense of ENTITLEMENT

Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

That sense of ENTITLEMENT

I got my knickers all in a wad today.

I was paying my bills and reviewing credit card statements (since i have all those on automatic payment). Over the past few years I racked up a decent amount of debt. Most of it wasn't due to being irresponsible--it's just that stuff happened--some problems with my house, kids' college expenses etc. Most of it accrued after I got sober. It's all low-interest and I have a great credit history (always pay on time), but in terms of pure dollar amount, it's a good-sized hunk of money.

Anyway, since I retired and got a job on top of my pension, I have been throwing tons of money into paying down the debt. Got a couple of balances almost done, which means I can throw even more at the remaining ones. I'm making good progress and am pretty happy about that.

A couple of weeks ago I get a note from my bank (where I have one of my credit cards) saying "Hey--we increased your credit limit! Use it, or transfer your higher-rate balances to our card!" Now, I've found balance transfers, over the years, to be good ways of making sure you are getting the lowest rate. I figured I'd ask for a couple of small balance transfers (less than the credit increase) and then use the money I was paying on those cards to pay down this card that sent the offer.

So I call, and I get turned down for this measly transfer. Couldn't get a supervisor on the phone, so I wound up writing a letter complaining. BUT what I found interesting (once my blood pressure came down a bit) was that I felt so damn ENTITLED. How DARE they? Don't they know how much money I make, how responsible I'm being? I felt like Brittney Spears or somebody, getting pulled over by the cops, all indignant. "Don't you know who I AM?!"

I am starting to laugh a little at myself. I still think they are wrong, and I will still send the letter of complaint, but clearly, my sense of having been wronged was WAY out of proportion to the "offense." It really doesn't make that big a difference, financially, for me. It was my ego that took the hit.

I'll keep plugging away with my original plan, which will still have those balances I wanted to transfer paid off in another four or five months. And I can be grateful I have the opportunity to get these debts paid off. Lots of people are struggling financially.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Funny how it's usually the small things that set us off. We're all tripping out on love and tolerance and spiritual principles when mom is sick or baby brother is going through divorce or we have court, but for some reason we get a ticket a minute after the meter runs out or they double ring up the mangoes we bought at the grocery store and we lose it. At least that has been my experience. For some reason alcoholics, even practicing spiritual principles in all our affairs, still have problems showing that behind the wheel. Again, at least I do.

Great that you can laugh over it. I'd like to think I do too, even if I am not exactly having fun at that moment. At least it doesn't stick around to be a resentment - now that is a different thing.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a big one for me, too.

Bigger than expectations, even, in disrupting serenity.

Don't they realize who we are?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Great story to share. I can relate a lot. Don't people know how much I am turning my life around and what things USED to be like? They should be having a parade in my honor for all this effort I am putting forth!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
Great story to share. I can relate a lot. Don't people know how much I am turning my life around and what things USED to be like? They should be having a parade in my honor for all this effort I am putting forth!
Yup, we all deserve kudos for doing what we are supposed to be doing in the first place.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very on-topic for me personally, as at my AA group the talk was about "justifiable anger". How lots of us can get SO OUT OF JOINT about someone cutting in line at the grocery store, and then feed off it's negative vibes. Your example is very relevant for me today. Thank you for sharing that, it has been helpful for me to chew on this subject today.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

yep...lol @ furnaceman......and if yall knew how important I was,you all would give me my own parking spot,right in front of the front door to this place!
I`m really disappointed no one has asked me to be President of AA
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I was kind of freakin' out the other day and obsessing cuz I could not get my own way about something. At least today I can recognize it and change the behavior much sooner.