Notices

Daily Reflections for 2/2/2013

Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Daily Reflections for 2/2/2013

*~*~*~*~*^DailyReflections^*~*~*~*~*

RESCUED BY SURRENDERING
Characteristic of the so-called typical alcoholic is a narcissistic egocentric core, dominated by feelings of omnipotence, intent on maintaining at all costs its inner integrity. . . . Inwardly the alcoholic brooks no control from man or God. He, the alcoholic, is and must be the master of his destiny. He will fight to the end to preserve that position.

A.A. COMES OF AGE, p. 311

The great mystery is: "Why do some of us die alcoholic deaths, fighting to preserve the 'independence' of our ego, while others seem to sober up effortlessly in A.A.?" Help from a Higher Power, the gift of sobriety, came to me when an otherwise unexplained desire to stop drinking coincided with my willingness to accept the suggestions of the men and women of A.A. I had to surrender, for only by reaching out to God and my fellows could I be rescued.

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Surrender, fully and complete surrender is where I started to get relief. When I decided to get out of the way of my own life, that is where the mental obsession left me. AA was the way for me to connect to God and being in the fellowship allows me to connect with others.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Why did some die? Because they couldn't let go of their ego and accept the fact that they couldn't do it on their own accord. I could have and did do that for a long time. I really didn't know what surrendering meant. I still don't really have a good explanation for it, but I know that my way wasn't working, and these people in AA had proven they found something that works, so I am taking suggestions from them as to what they did. It seems to be having a pretty good effect so far.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Does anyone know if Bill W. wrote this quote from AA Comes of Age?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Truly amazing to me how once we do make the smallest efforts at reaching out to those who are on the path of surrender to a Higher Power and actually receive guidance from them, it just invites itself inevitably onward, i.e. there is no choice but reviving our full awareness of God provided we only continue to will it. Thanks for the inspiration!