Notices

As Bill Sees It for 2/1/2013

Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow As Bill Sees It for 2/1/2013

*~*~*~*~*^AsBill SeesIt^*~*~*~*~*

Moral Responsibility

"Some strongly object to the A.A. position that alcoholism is an illness. This concept, they feel, removes moral responsibility from alcoholics. As any A.A. knows, this is far from true. We do not use the concept of sickness to absolve our members from responsibility. On the contrary, we use the fact of fatal illness to clamp the heaviest kind of moral obligation onto the sufferer, the obligation to use A.A.'s Twelve Steps to get well.
"In the early days of his drinking, the alcoholic is often guilty of irresponsibility. But once the time of compulsive drinking has arrived, he can't very well be held fully accountable for his conduct. He then has an obsession that condemns him to drink, and a bodily sensitivity to alcohol that guarantees his final madness and death.
"But when he is made aware of this condition, he is under pressure to accept A.A.'s program of moral regeneration."

TALK, 1960
Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

This is an argument I hear often - that being "ill" let's us get away with it all. It's far from the truth - now that I know about my three-pronged illness of mind, body and spirit, it's incumbent on me to follow the path of recovery. This is why people say that AA ruins their drinking - they know what is going on with them now, and they know the solution. Whereas in the past, we blindly fumbled, not knowing what was going on with us. Knowledge of our illness dictates the path of our wellness. No excuses.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Knowledge of this gives us the responsibility to follow the correct path in our lives. I think AA ruined my drinking before because God put AA in my life for a reason and I chose not to follow it. I thought eventually I'd forget about it and just go about my business. But nope, "maybe those AAers were right..." And they were.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

I do believe that genetics are a part. Just as much as enviorment.. I believe that it alcoholism can be a learned trait just as easy as it was for me..

I believe that I was alcoholic but needed that little bit of time to let my allergy blossom..

In any event I chose to pick up that drink and drug every time. I am responsible for that .. GOD has helped me get sober and stay that way.. Just for today