delirium tremens

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

delirium tremens

My father is in CCU after sever delerium tremens, heart attack, and pneumonia. His last drink after 40 years of heavy alcohol abuse was on Jan 14, 2013. He had been intubatedin CCU since Jan 20. The critical care team is having complications extubating him from his ventilator due to agitation. Every day there seems to be another complication, blood cloths, high blood sugar, fever, infections, etc. After one ER visit and two visits to family doctor within two weeks no one advised us of how dangerous alcohol withdraw could be.

I am wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like my situation? I have a hard time seeing an end to these medical complications. I am pretty desperate and think it would help yo hear from others who may have had to go thru this also. I haves prayed my entire life that my daddy would quit drinking his whiskey. I never imagined it would turn out like this. Help!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Megan, I will keep your father (and you too) in my prayers.

I know little about this, but if he's in a hospital he will get good care.

Alcohol withdraw is very dangerous and not something that should ever be attempted without medical supervision.

Hugs
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello megan,

My stepson was admitted to the hospital during the summer of 2008. There was quite a bit of alcohol in his system at that time. Within 72 hours, the DTs began. He was hallucinating (Episodes of 'In Living Color' were apparently playing on the walls of his hospital room and he was extremely paranoid). At one point he had to be tied to the bed because he was so agitated.

He was diagnosed with jaundice and alcoholic hepatitis, and had several liters ascites fluid drained from his abdomen. His blood pressure was sky high, his liver was shot, and he did not have much control over his bowel movements (my apologies ...).

He was 27 at the time. Amazingly, the human body has this incredible capacity to heal itself once the abuse stops.

The story goes on for quite a bit after that and you can read the whole thing if you search for my posts. Now, he has been clean and sober for the past 3+ months. He went to rehab of his own accord and is currently in a sober living facility for men in another state and starts a new job with benefits on Thursday.

Your father and your whole family will be in my thoughts and prayers. HG
Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Hydro. Thank you for sharing. I will look op your posts. Your comment about the human body healing itself once the abuse stops is fomething I really needed to hear right now. Thanks again and all the best!