Notices

Big Book Quote for 1/28/2013

Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Big Book Quote for 1/28/2013

Big Book Quote

Of course, as time went on, I began to get my health back and began to be so I didn't have to hide from people all the time---It's just been wonderful. I still go to meetings, because I like to go. I meet the people that I like to talk to. Another reason that I go is that I'm still grateful for the good years that I've had. I'm so grateful for both the program and th...e people in it that I still want to go. And then probably the most wonderful thing that I have learned from the program---I've seen this in the A.A. Grapevine a lot of times, and I've had people say it to me personally, and I've heard people get up in meetings and say it--- is this statement: "I came into A.A. solely for the purpose of sobriety, but it has been through A.A. that I have found God."

~ Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition pg. 192~
c Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, INC.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I used to think AA was purely a way to NOT drink. I remember having this mindset during my early experiences with AA. Honestly, I don't remember much else of those days. I had a sponsor I didn't call, I didn't work any steps, and AA was an obligation I disliked because it was a means to an end. Go figure.

I am learning much more of a spiritual way to live through the steps. Incredible how you people told me they work and by golly they do.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

reminds me of that old expression : God brought me to AA, and AA brought me to God.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
reminds me of that old expression : God brought me to AA, and AA brought me to God.
For sure paul..

And for me this alcoholic needs my mettings , because I need my mechanic's. I need alignment constantly. I feel it if I go more than a couple days without being around my kind..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

"I came into A.A. solely for the purpose of sobriety, but it has been through A.A. that I have found God."

YES EXACTLY!!!! What an amazing surprise for me when I walked into AA ignorant.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
I used to think AA was purely a way to NOT drink. I remember having this mindset during my early experiences with AA. Honestly, I don't remember much else of those days. I had a sponsor I didn't call, I didn't work any steps, and AA was an obligation I disliked because it was a means to an end. Go figure.

I am learning much more of a spiritual way to live through the steps. Incredible how you people told me they work and by golly they do.
exactly
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

so true
"i still go to meetings"

fraankie
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

When I first came to AA I didn't want to be here and I surely didn't want to quit drinking. I did however want all the pain and consequences to go away but I didn't want to work for it. I guess its a no wonder why I spent many years in & out of AA & NA.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by newby1961 View Post
When I first came to AA I didn't want to be here and I surely didn't want to quit drinking. I did however want all the pain and consequences to go away but I didn't want to work for it. I guess its a no wonder why I spent many years in & out of AA & NA.
Yep. But at the time I was really confused and convinced my attitude had nothing to do with not getting results!