Notices

New here...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...

Hi all,

I'm new here. I don't know where to go or who to talk to. I feel so very alone. I made a different post, in a different section of this forum, not knowing where else to start.

I feel like a ghost. I am not really here, and I can't turn to anyone.

Maybe I will find what i need here.

Take care.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome!

Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself and why you are here on the forums. We can get you settled in and pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

This forum, the Newcomers forum, is always a good place to start.

And, it's usually a pretty active place, so just hang in there and take a look around. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply :-)

Basically I mis-use or abuse my prescribed medication. To start of with I have an addictive personality, and I have an awful trouble stopping myself from self destructing. I am currently in a difficult situation, where I don't know what to do or who to turn to. I have a young family to protect, and I am so scared that they will take my child away from me, because I abuse my meds. But I cant seem to stop...but i have no one to talk to :-(
Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OK, great--not that your problems are great, but now we know you a little bit better.

I think it's great that you are concerned about the effect your prescription drug abuse is having on your family. Have you discussed this with your doctor who has been prescribing for you? He or she may be able to suggest an alternative non-addicting medication and help you to safely stop taking the ones you are abusing. Depending on the medication, it can be dangerous to stop taking them abruptly, so you want to have your doctor in the loop.

The doctor will maintain your confidentiality, too, and might be able to help suggest a recovery program that can help you get your life back on track.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome biccy. I'm glad you found us. You're never alone with your troubles - there will be many here who'll relate to what you're going through.

Be proud of yourself for facing up to your problem and deciding to do something about it. You can turn everything around - you don't have to live like that anymore.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm worried I might be heading for trouble when I run out. I've created a problem for myself because I can't seem to stop, even though I know already that I won't be able to keep this up, plus as said above, I can't just stop taking them. I'm afraid to talk to anyone about it, because when I somewhat mentioned it to my psychologist, he said it would be a case for child protective services. That scared me because I honestly take really good care of my little one, I love him to bits. Im just going through a really hard time right now, and who's to say my gp won't say the same thing?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ugh biccy, no wonder you're frightened, I don't know why your psychologist would just throw that at you like that, is he/she an addiction professional? Not all therapists have the same credentials and having one that's trained with addiction might be more helpful. I spent a week looking for the right therapist (mind you I need someone who can see me on either nights or weekends) and I have kids also.

biccy, I don't know what town you live in, you can PM me by the way if you have any questions, but there is a web site for you to check out, it's 211.org and they usually have places in every state that can help you with getting better. In some cases places who can help you for free if you cannot afford it and ESPECIALLY if you have kids, or places that would work on a sliding scale. They have counselors available by phone 24/7, and it's a wonderful community service.

I work in a treatment center and whenever I get phone calls from people in our state and out of state who cannot afford treatment and are in the need for help, I refer them all to that organization, they're awesome!

Good luck, keep posting biccy, this place is great for support.

Also, if you call 211.org, ask them about any detox programs that you can possibly find out about, also maybe check out some NA meetings in your area? Good luck, let us know how you're doing! :ghug3
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I don't live in the USA but in Ireland. I'm not sure what my next step will be. Either I manage to stop and chuck all my extra pills out, or I'll try and talk to my gp eventually. Or worst case scenario I end up sick because of it all.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know how it works in Ireland either.

Maybe try talking to your GP then? biccy, I wish you all the best, and we're here for you.

Maybe someone here from Ireland can help, we have many people from all over the place on this site.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can relate to your being scared and alone. The reality is that you are reaching out for support and that is great! You can get clean from these medications, however. It is hard to withdraw physically and psychologically but it is possible; many people in addition to myself on this site have that experience and we are still here. I think it is wonderful that you are going to talk with your doctor! Don't be afriad to ask questions until you get an answer to get the help and support you need! You can do this!!!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome biccy!

You're not alone - a lot of people find themselves caught in an addictive cycle with drugs or alcohol. We really do understand that hopeless feeling. You took a big step today, though, by coming here.

Here's a link to detox information in Ireland (they provide a helpline which is totally confidential):
Getting help - Drug and Alcohol Information and Support in Ireland - Drugs.ie

I hope you keep reading and posting - none of us can do this on our own.:ghug3
Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not even sure what reality is for me, it might be truth or total denial, but I honestly can't say at this time if I am addicted to the pills, or addicted to the self destructive side of it.

I'm just so confused and worried.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I just had a short enough live chat with an addiction help volunteer typa thingy and their response was that the medication I am using is not addictive. So, I guess I have wasted all your time. I suppose I can keep taking them?

I am very sorry, I thought I maybe had a place here...
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Biccy

I read your other thread and I think you have grounds to be concerned and I'm sorry those concerns haven't been met.

Does your current Dr know about your history?

Can you get a second professional face to face medical opinion on this?

D
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know if I can. I wanted to try and talk with my gp, but im not sure I should.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

why do you think you shouldn't?

D
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Let me ask you a question. When your psychologist said that "It would be a matter for child protective services," was that in direct response to a question about whether your child could be taken away? If so, then he or she is right. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the fact that you might be abusing the medication, and expressed a concern about it, would set that ball in motion. If you told the doctor you were neglecting the child, or the doctor had reason to believe that was so, it could be reported, but it's hard to imagine that would be the first thing that happens.