Notices

Is your sobriety worth it?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Is your sobriety worth it?

Is sobriety worth it? I see that a lot here. I always read the post when I see that because I want to know from their point of view.

That is not a rhetorical question. It's a powerful question I ask myself many times a day in various forms.

Every time my heart skips a beat at the thought of sneaking a drink and getting away with it.

The answer I give to the casual "oh can I get you something to drink?"

The look in the eyes of those that love me.

My sense of satisfaction each evening before bed. In my thoughts.

My sense of joy in getting up the next morning and after the fog clears relaxing just a bit in the knowledge I was "ok" last night.

I evaluate the answer to that question with out thinking more and more. Is that what it means to be stronger in my sobriety? Maybe.

Just this morning as I made my plans for the day and for the week and I noticed that I could make plans ....And not plans around.

Sobriety is worth it as certain as I am of the sun rising and setting everyday.

If you doubt it. If you hesitate at the answer when the question is posed to you in whatever way it comes along.... Then stay sober today. See what happens when tomorrow arrives.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like the way you think. And I agree..thanks for posting
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Just this morning as I made my plans for the day and for the week and I noticed that I could make plans ....And not plans around.
I could literally write a book stating how my sobriety has been "worth it". A really big thick fat book. I particuarly like the line above, however... and I was thinking not so much about me, but my old drinking buddy who I'm still friends with. He chooses to believe he has no probem with alcohol, yet his life is wrapped completely around it. He doesn't go out anywhere unless he can get a get a ride to and from, or it's walking distance, and the ONLY social activity he ever participates in, is drinking. If there's an event where drinking isn't possible, it ain't happening. Because of his career too, he has to be ultra careful of where he drinks because he can't trust not to make a fool of himself in public. His entire live revolves around his one activity to have enjoy himself, which is getting drunk. I'm so grateful that's not what my life is about any more.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Joe... That is sad. I know what that is like. I had a web design business on the side. It got so I could not commit to anything at any time.

Glad you have moved on. Sorry your friend has not.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All I have to do is look in the mirror and the answer is looking back at me.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could not agree more escapist... Just I see many struggle with this question. I do at times but less and less everyday.

I just wanted to remind those that doubt that it is so worth it.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have relapsed so many times. This last time was the lowest I have ever been. I guess I finally believe that my alcoholism is real. No matter how sure I am that I can drink again, the truth, based on rock solid evidence, is that I can't. God, I am so stubborn. I nearly had to kill myself before I accepted the facts about myself.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What escapist says is so true for me. When I sit back and ask myself is it worth it, all I have to do is look into the mirror and peer into my own eyes. Yes it is worth it. I see the man I was always supposed to be.