Notices

Benzo withdrawal symtoms recurring?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benzo withdrawal symtoms recurring?

Hi all. So I went cold turkey off a relatively short Valium addiction. Was taking 50mg a day. Withdrawals peaked at 2 weeks and were horrifically awful. I gave up opiates around the same time (a little before) and alcohol on New Year's Day. I am feeling alot better now but every few days that distinct benzo withdrawal feeling will just overcome me. It's hard to describe but it's like a milder form of the symptoms I had earlier on in recovery.

Did this happen to others? How long did it last for?

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

More info. I was also drinking heavily while taking the benzos/opiates. Not sure if that makes any diff to withdrawal

I've had some interesting conversations on here about this and learnt alot. Just today that same old feeling overcame me when out shopping with my kids so I thought I'd come here to talk about it.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anyone?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes possibly because of the extremely long half life of Valium. I SO wish you could see a doc...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's not that bad now, more just annoying and draining. Doesn't feel dangerous or anything like it did weeks back.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You ct same amount that I (nearly) that I am tapering from. I've seen
scores of people say exactly what you have. They call it "windows" where you
feel good or bad. Personally I think you've done fab.

If you want to read 1000's of similar experiences go look for benzobuddies.
For me tho' I couldn't stand the anxiety of doing that but see it helps a lot of people.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's nice to know its 'Normal'

GG, I'm not worried about it now to the extent that I would need to see a doctor, it's just annoying and I think I'm to the stage where if I was to ask to go back on it and do a taper, it would be my addict voice doing the work there.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry I missed your post earlier.

It's totally normal for many to experience a tiny bit of post acute withdrawal symptoms. Yours do sound minor, which is a really good sign.

Someone here mentioned that you were experiencing these because of the long half-life of Valium. Valium totally leaves the body within a few days. Your brain just isn't used in absorbing the natural neurotransmitters that a benzo replace. It just takes some time.

I was on a massive dosage of Klonopin, went cold turkey, and had some severe protracted symptoms even at a year out.

Windows or feeling good and feeling a pang of withdrawals are totally normal. For many, they disappear in a few months.

Great job on kicking opiates and benzos at the same time.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Midlife...Valium will generally stay in your system for at least 14 days and sometimes more for others depending on the usage. Just be mindful that benzo withdrawal can cause seizures. Since you have had some weird feelings just becareful. You've gone the long haul and wouldn't want anything to happen to you since you've made all this progress.

So glad you are getting there. I am glad I didn't complicate my life with benzo's...they made me sleep and I wanted more energy.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I will get there. Regret it so much but would still struggle SO much if it was placed in front of me. Can't wait to feel well.