Notices

Upset, but I did good today...

Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Upset, but I did good today...

I went to see my therapist for the first time today, did what was expected which was just gave her a bunch of information regarding my history; family, marriage, kids, drinking, rehab, parents, etc. Looking forward to doing more 1 on 1's with her.

Starting before I left the office I was wanting to pick up some wine, even on the way home I wanted to, bf and I just got into an argument (which we never do) and I'm shaking right now. But here I am, I'm not going to the store, I'm staying right here.

Anyway, as much as I am proud of myself, this is not how I want the night to end.

He's mad because I got upset because of his constant joke making and I just got up and walked out of the room. I appreciate a good sense of humor, but not EVERYTHING is a joke.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He might be nervous. I do that when I am nervous. Try to make light of stuff.
He doesn't want to make you mad.
Go give him a hug.
Glad you got to a therapist.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey vegi, so glad to hear you are taking good steps in your recovery, be proud of yourself for that I find that every time I crave a drink and don't give in that I get a little stronger. You may find the same. Kudos to you for reaching out on here and hope you make up with your bf soon
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sorry your evening hasn't gone well. I think you made a good choice by walking out of the room - I've done that before when I feel myself just getting more upset.

Take some deep breaths and give yourself a hug. You went to therapy today, you're recently sober.....both of those things would make anyone more sensitive. :ghug3
Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Glad you found a therapist you like and are comfortable with. Great job on making the choice to be here instead of buying wine! Sorry about the fight with your bf. I found I had a lot less patience with mine early on. Hope you kiss and make up soon
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Vegi. Proud of you for going to the therapist and taking care of yourself.

I was hypersensitive for a few months after I quit. Very emotional & close to tears half the time. I can see how your bf's joking would be irritating. Tomorrow's another day, though. I predict everything will be much better and make more sense.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey vegibean! Glad you started today on the right foot with your therapist.
Keep your chin up! You're probably just annoyed with your bf. Give him a kiss and if you're still mad pinch him and pretend it was a mistake. Haha that always makes me feel better!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job! I felt like drinking today and tonight also. I went all weekend alone without wanting to and then my husband got home and I wanted to drink. ? I have no clue why.

I just got busy with school work and the feeling passed.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anything new is bound to be a bit scary and may get our addictive juices flowing VB...I'm glad you got through.

I have some sympathy with Mr VB tho...

I used humour as a deflecting/defusing thing for years - my wife 'learned' me pretty quick that not everything was a joke, and not everything needs to be.

give him time - we're men but we can still learn stuff lol

D
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job in not picking up wine to soothe your frustrations after getting into an argument with your bf. I find that when I am provoked by something and become angry, feel threatened or wronged, I become very impulsive. I decided to try to quit smoking again today and *almost* went to buy a pack right around the 24 hour mark of being cig-free, this is after getting angry THINKING about something to do with my ex. I was able to reel myself back in and get a rational thought in, and told myself, if I go buy cigarettes, I'm only hurting me and setting myself back again. I have also had to do this with alcohol. We have to remember, it actually makes things worse.

Thanks for sharing that.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivegotsunshine View Post
Hey vegibean! Glad you started today on the right foot with your therapist.
Keep your chin up! You're probably just annoyed with your bf. Give him a kiss and if you're still mad pinch him and pretend it was a mistake. Haha that always makes me feel better!
Thank you for that.

Dee, yeah, I, myself have a great sense of humor, but please...

Everyone else, thank you, I appreciate it. :ghug3
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My ex was like that ... I eventually realized it was just because he literally had no idea how to deal with my addiction or process his feelings regarding. At least he's making jokes and not being physically and verbally abusive.

If you're like me you're also probably rather sensative right now, which doesn't help. I'm a little over 60 days sober AND a few weeks pregnant so you can imagine... The other day my boyfriend asked me not to eat cereal out of his pilsner glass and I lost it and almost left the house for the whole day. Haha.

I guess the bottom line is : you stayed sober anyway! That's how it's done. I've been VERY upset and depressed at times in the past 60 days but I just don't drink no matter what and it does pass.

Keep it up!