Notices

Just two days....

Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just two days....

Hi - I have been drinking for 10 years and just stopped two days ago.. I have had a bottle or more of wine per night for 10 years and am finally sick of the way it makes me feel and look. I went from a thin healthy person to someone overweight, puffy, bloated and hating the way I look. I have avoided full length mirrors for the last few years and have had many close family members tell me how awful i look. So I am going to stop... so far so good, but I found myself (while waiting for dinner to cook - prime drinking time) snacking on everything in sight and last night I had alot of trouble sleeping.

I am committed to this and really, really, want to stop. So far the only one who knows how much I drank is my husband - he's really supportive, but I would also love to hear how someone else is doing in theis very, very early stage of not drinking.

Thank you!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR purplepoppy - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi purplepoppy! You're going to love it here.

Two days sober is fantastic. Those are some very rough days to get through. I think being here will help you stick to your plan. It's inspiring to read about each other's experience. Many good suggestions and plenty of support to be had here. We can get through this together.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi PurplePoppy - Good for you on two days!! The first week was pretty taxing for me, especially the first few days. I'm wrapping up my second week so I don't have months or years of sobriety behind me but for what it's worth, from my limited experience, things get better every day!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you - knowing i'm not alone helps alot!!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi purple puppy!
Congrats on the best decision you have ever made. It will be tough the first few days weeks but we can all make with a bit of determination. We have a whole thread devoted to those early in sobriety with 30 days and under here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-them-11.html

Keep coming and post a lot and read more! If I could do it you certainly can too. AA can help with the substitution recognition and if you have insurance try to find a good substance abuse counselor. If you don't they have pay what you can and free ones everywhere. But don't worry about the weight for now, just get detoxed, and make sure your doc is in on this and you read him in with the whole truth and the real amount you were drinking.

See most folks never take the first step and deny the problem, for years. Some of us wake up and try but fail alone daily, like I did when I could not even wake up without a shot in my coffee or three to stop the shakes.

you are committed!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Poppy-
I was a wine drinker too. I stopped for 2 years, then relapsed...I'm back sober 13 days now! Yes- after work, cooking dinner (that's when it started).....keep moving, go on SR site, read posts, write posts....this site is great. I'm with you....I'm committed! We can fight this!! Don't worry, I think the eating will stop the more sober days you get, then you will start to feel healthier and lose weight (no hangover munches..... You're doing great!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purplepoppy View Post
but I found myself (while waiting for dinner to cook - prime drinking time)
ohhh I know all about that time, sometimes I liked to cook just so I could open the wine...sometimes at noon when I was making something elaborate, which means 2 bottles (for me!) hurray. By the time I would serve my masterpiece we were to drunk to enjoy it.
That is a sad story!

purplepoppy Im new too...13 days and counting (I keep thinking I have more days?)

You can do it - I can do it - We can do it! :ghug3
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey KLB we are on the same page too! 13 days, wine, cooking... maybe we should start a group what would we call it?

"well, I wont drink the vermouth" club
(you know when you dont want to keep white wine around cause you will drink it so you buy Vermouth cause its...not as nice. Maybe thats just me!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's what I am most worried about - cooking!! I would start cooking early, so i could drink earlier and then I drank until I went to bed - or passed out.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great on day 2. I'm right there with you. Had a couple of slips,but I'm back on track. I use to enjoy cooking and drinking too. Beer for me . Sometimes by a miracle my dinners even turned out better then when I didn't drink and cook. Came up with my best chili receipe when slammin a few. Not worth it though.. It gets easier with each passing day. Hang tight. You are among friends here.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wino too, from one to three bottles a day sometimes. I found the first few weeks to be rough going as my body and mind were healing and getting back to normal and it was a bit of a bumpy ride for a while. But at about a month sober I started feeling much better, stronger, and more positive.

to our recovery family! :ghug3
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Omg PAT and Purple...ha ha! And I hate cooking! I would cook just to drink. I think i thought i was classy with a pretty wine glass in my hand and a beautiful dinner......BUT 2 small bottles of wine later ( or 1 big bottle) then it wasnt so classy.