Notices

OH MAN! I am 5 days sober with no craving at all! YES!!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OH MAN! I am 5 days sober with no craving at all! YES!!

Hi everyone. Last time I made a thread I admitted that I was going into a detox/treatment facility here in NM and, I did. For 3 days and the sad conditions of people I saw....it affected me in a haunting, just.. it changed me.

Now, here I am, no desire to drink, to go out, my room is clean, I finished writing my daily schedule for tomorrow like I did today. So this is what normal feels like? I can get used to this ^^

NOW! serious question: I have hate 2 bananas, a lunchmeat sandwich, 5 beef taquitos (and salsa!) And I just ordered a pizza to eat a few slices.(ran on coffee all day, got home and starving lol)

1) am I replacing one addiction to another?
2) I never ate when I drank, do I just want to remember these great palettes of food again?
3) or is my body just replacing what I revoked it from for so long?

Or any combination of the 3...please halp! I missed the enjoyment of different flavors for so long. Day 5 sobriety: DONE. Tomorrow is gonna be sweeeeeeet.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Good work on 5 days Nevar. For the first few weeks I was in big time PIG OUT mode. Tons of sweets. Donuts, cookies. Like a box a day. Huge meals. It has settled down now, but I wondered the same things. I don't think it is that uncommon.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I barely ate when I drank. I still had a hard time eating after I quit drinking, but 2 months after that I pigged out for a whole month. I ate everything and anyhing. I think it is quite normal for your appetite to pick up again.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's all 3 BUT it's ok u eat as much as u want you enjoy every bite of it !! CONGRATS on the 5 days.. Keep up the good work. Stay strong and keep yourself busy and on a schedule
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by NevarCiots View Post
For 3 days and the sad conditions of people I saw....it affected me in a haunting, just.. it changed me.
Thanks for sharing that--I feel the same way.

Like everyone else says, don't worry about the food. Try to avoid junk food, but anything is better than booze. Your body DOES have a lot to replace.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heh thanks veryreadh and ladyin BC. Those responses feel very comfortable with what im doing. I mean, I know im not ordering pizza everyday from now on lol I know that about myself.

I think maybe the apple sauce, lettuce drenched in vinegar and nasty-roni in detox just made me want the good stuff perhaps
Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been eating a lot too and gaining weight in just over a week but I figure I deserve to indulge while making such a positive life changing choice to be sober, at least for a little while, once I'm more comfortable in my own skin again I can get to eating healthy, and *ugh* maybe exercise, etc. I am taking vitamins right now though and trying to eat a decent breakfast every day.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunetta View Post
I have been eating a lot too and gaining weight in just over a week but I figure I deserve to indulge while making such a positive life changing choice to be sober, at least for a little while, once I'm more comfortable in my own skin again I can get to eating healthy, and *ugh* maybe exercise, etc. I am taking vitamins right now though and trying to eat a decent breakfast every day.
Hey lunetta we can keep this up! You at least are doing things the right way of heathy eating and vitamins. My idea for vitamins for the longest time was a keva juice once a week (triple shot of stress relief supplement, very important ;-)

Hey, thanks for the reminder! Take care lunetta!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on week 5 of not drinking. I ate badly and very little when I did eat . I had a lot alcohol related anxiety surrounding food and no appetite.
Mind you, I love to cook and I am very good at it. It's something I have been connecting in a much bigger way sober than when I was drinking.
I eat what I feel like these days. Not a big sweets eater but love savory things. Tonight, I made pizza from scratch including the crust and sauce.
I think our bodies may be trying to compensate for lost/lacking nutrients while drinking and I am going with the flow.
Good luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Try eating 3 healthy meals a day, limit the coffee and increase the water.

Starving yourself all day and then binge eating is not a healthy habit......
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sure with it being only five days, a lot of that is your body wanting to nourish itself. Be careful though, I've seen people get sober and gain way too much weight, and then they struggle with that. Get some exercise too, get out and just walking and sightseeing. Glad you're feeling great, and I wish you continued successes on your journey.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm eating more, but still losing a little weight. I would have to work at eating to replace all the calories I took in from booze.

I don't think you should worry about food, especially in early days. Maintaining your sobriety is top priority, and the food worry might be a trick of your AV to convince you to let yourself get hungry -- which is a common condition for giving in to a craving.

Congrats on day 5 and keep at it!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As someone who is in recovery from bulimia as well as alcoholism I am not sure my experiences are normal. However I have heard it shared hundreds of times in AA that people crave food in early recovery. I think it is natural. Bingeing though isn't good I don't think....eating small and often is better long term than starving all day and then bingeing on junk! But just go with the flow....food is better than alcohol any day!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I think it's common and fairly normal. Early on, it was a reward "I'm not drinking so I can have that donut, or pizza, or whatever I want". I personally have to ditch that mindset. I'm feeling huge and need to find a different reward.

I think our bodies do crave the nourishment after the poor eating habits of drinking days. I just wish mine would crave healthy stuff instead