Where would you hide your meds

Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where would you hide your meds

when a member of the household steals them at every opportunity?

asking for a friend.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i have a prescription for anti-anxiety medication. i hide it in various places. never keep it in the same place. if i can keep it WITH me, i do that. if not, i hide it everywhere from behind the spices in the cabinet, to in my pillowcase, to inside menstrual supply boxes. sorry if that last one was TMI. i also have hidden meds under the couch cushions, under tissues in tissue boxes...and if i think of any more i will post again.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Oh boy, last time I did that....I couldn't find them for 24 hours and it made me crazy/crazier, lol.

I hid them in the dog food because I have a big container of dry food and I am the one that feeds them anyway. But I don't think it really matters though, I think an addict can find them any where.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When my addicted son lived with me, I would think of ingenious places to hide my meds and he would think of ingenious places to hide his stash of drugs....and we always found each others' hiding places. It's not that hard in a house.

I ended up sleeping with my purse under my pillow, and kept the meds there. It was an insane thing to do but that's how dysfunctional I was at the timed.

On a more serious note, if there are children or pets in the house, hiding medications is not a good idea. If found by the children or pets, it could kill them.

Personally, I will never ever again live with anyone who makes me feel the need to hide anything more than Christmas presents.

Hugs
Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

haha!! i've hidden them in the dog food too, LMN!

and amen, ann...i can't wait for the day when i don't feel the need to hide anything to keep someone else from taking it.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't allow anyone in my house that would necessitate hiding any medication I might have.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not allowing the person in the house is probably the best answer. However, if your friend is not there yet - I would enter cryptic notes in my phone with clues where to find things, because I would forget; I also slept with my purse under my pillow for a period of time......
b
Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Double zip-lock bagged and taped to the underside of the lid to the toilet back. Used that one on my ex-husband when hiding his cigarettes (he asked me to do it....I know, I know!)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my pocket - there are really no hiding places safe from an addict.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SundaysChild View Post
In my pocket - there are really no hiding places safe from an addict.
Exactly, I have actually slept with mine in my bra before and got woke up by my own son looking OMG
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Personally, I will never ever again live with anyone who makes me feel the need to hide anything more than Christmas presents.
Ditto that!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
Double zip-lock bagged and taped to the underside of the lid to the toilet back. Used that one on my ex-husband when hiding his cigarettes (he asked me to do it....I know, I know!)
My son hid his drugs there once, HG, I found them when I was about to hide my med there....is that not insane? On both our parts?

Today I do whatever is required to KNOW I am safe and so are my belongings.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As a recovered addict I can tell you that NO place is safe. An addict that is sick will look anywhere and everywhere. I know someone who keeps her medicine in a safe deposit box in the bank and goes there every morning and takes out only enough medicine for that particular day.

Some places I could think of that I used when hiding drugs:

- taped a small zip lock to the back of a painting
- in the battery capartments of different electronic devices (remote, video game controllers, took the battery out of an old cell phone and put it in there, etc.)
- taped a baggie under a table
- pulled up a part of the carpet in the cornor of my bedroom and shoved them in there
- taped a zip lock under the bottom of the stove
- put them in a bra behind the padding inserts in my closet
- bought one of those fake soda cans that are hollow to hide things and put it in the back of the fridge with all the real soda cans
- cut open a stuff animal and made a spot in there
- pulled up the insoles of my shoes and put it under there
- sewed in a secret pocket in my pants
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know someone who keeps her medicine in a safe deposit box in the bank and goes there every morning and takes out only enough medicine for that particular day.

That was an option I considered one time oh the insanity
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My friend's mate is NOT welcome in my home.
She has her therapist hold hers and give her one week's supply at a time.

We both still have our Christmas trees still up. I suggested that she take the top off one of the Christmas balls, put the pills in there, put the ball back together and hang it back on the tree in the same place.

She has a bus ticket to come visit me the end of the month. The ticket is between the cardboard and photo in a framed picture she has. I would prefer she have someone outside her house hold them as they are not refundable or replacable.

She has been sleeping in her pants with the bottle in her pants pocket.

Madness, I know.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You sound like a good and supportive person. Good luck to your friend. I hope that, at some point, she won't have to live like that anymore.

For years, we've kept meds that might be of interest to my son in my room and the door is always locked. The irritating part is carrying keys around and having to lock and unlock the door, sometimes many times a day.

When he was under 18 and using and out of control, we couldn't kick him out of the house (against the law).