Notices

Day 8 (and counting!)

Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 (and counting!)

Hey there, a newcomer from the UK here. Up until last Saturday I had been regularly drinking 100-120 units per week for the last 8-10 years. I had kind of used it to self medicate after undergoing heavy bouts of anxiety/panic attacks as well as OCD. When I drunk it made all symptoms go away and I could sleep easier. However, when I sobered up it made the anxiety/panic and OCD 10 times worse so I would drink again in a kind of vicious circle. It was mainly drinking in the pub sociably, but I would drink a lot lot faster and consume a lot more in a short time compared with those social drinkers. However the psychological symptoms became physical a few weeks ago when I started getting pains in my sides after a heavy night. I cut down gradually over a few days but was still getting pains the day after even when I had just drunk one pint the night before, so I decided enough was enough and to try and stop totally. Well here I am on day 8, I still have a slight tremor in my left hand and I'm not sleeping as well as I did when I had been drinking, averaging about 6 hours sleep now compared with my normal 8 but I hope things will get better from here. I'm also fighting the OCD sober which makes a change rather than just drinking it away, I'm hoping I can be strong enough to keep this up for good. Compared with others stories on here, I know there are a lot more people suffering a lot lot more than I am but I thought I would say "hi" to everyone and wish everyone the best of luck

Chris
Old 01-12-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 days! I think you will find the resources on this website excellent.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Chris!

Congrats on 8 days. It does get better and you will find that your sleeping will also improve over time. Have you seen a doctor yet? It probably wouldn't hurt if you did and be totally honest about the drinking.

This is a great site, you will find so much support here.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Chris ,
Good luck with it .. Might be worth being honest with the doctor, i know my mums med's work better when she dosn't drink but it takes a while to kick in ..

After giving up my anxiety went up for maybe the first three weeks and then rapidly reduced .

If you are a pub kind of person then it might be worth looking at other avenues for social contact .

Any questions or things you learn please share as i for one am open to learn anything to try and keep the "beast" at bay or share whatever little experience i might have garnered .

Some people just give up and stay that way , others require methods to keep themselves sane and sober after giving up . I'm sure if you hang round or look about the forums you'll find a plethora information or just ask , there is a ton of experience passing through these forums ,

8 days

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal to be up and down in early recovery. Your sleep patterns will get back to normal, just give it time. Same with the anxiety - give it time to get your body and brain back to normal functioning and it should go away with time. If not, see your doctor. :ghug3
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the kind replies I have been seeing a doctor regarding my anxiety/panic and OCD and have mentioned that I did drink as well. I have also been seeing a Counsellor and after encountering problems and speaking with them, I decided to give this abstinence a go and to be honest I can feel my anxiety coming down by the day and my head is so much more clearer. I will let you know how I'm doing, I'm making my next milestone day 10, will be good to get into double figures. Hope you all have a nice day

Chris
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Chris

D
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

congratulations on day 8 ~ i'm a couple of days behind you and it is hard work! don't give up the progress you've made. i've only been on this site for a few days and have found everyone to be extremely supportive, kind and helpful. hugs to you and keep up the good work
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot and well done to all you too Had a good day today, been to the beach and no anxiety whatsoever, then had a ride on my bike and it was the same there too! So hopefully things are looking up. Hope you've all had a nice Sunday

Chris