Notices

How to deal with a delusional friend?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to deal with a delusional friend?

friend: want to go for a pint.

me: ill come out and chill but not drink or touch a drop tonight

friend: so whats the point if you dont want to hang out, ive only been drunk once in the last few months.

What a joke lol, typical alcoholic rationalization. How do you deal with this idiots mindset?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I would try to find some new friends. People don't change their mindset about alcohol very readily.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I would try to find some new friends. People don't change their mindset about alcohol very readily.
Sad thing is I specifically said I would come out and hang as long as I didnt have to drink or get asked to and received this response.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hate the reaction to anyone who dares to drink anything non-alcholic in a bar. Why are you percieved as some strange fun-sponge if you don't drink? ...grrr!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I have learned a lot about acceptance since joining AA. If you go to a bar, you should expect to be around active alcoholics. You're going to have to exercise a lot of acceptance. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kizzy40 View Post
I hate the reaction to anyone who dares to drink anything non-alcholic in a bar. Why are you percieved as some strange fun-sponge if you don't drink? ...grrr!!
I just ignore it or use it to my advantage as an ice breaker to start conversations.

Occasionally on a Sat Ill have 2 or 3 pints nowadays since im in control but thats the max. people often pressure me to drink more but i just decline. its a matter of will power.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had friends that would respond like your friend. I ended up getting all new friends.
Once I stopped using drugs I found not everyone does drugs, which is what I used to tell myself to rationalize my continued abuse of pain pills and heroin.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Like others have said, sometimes you have to get rid of these friends and get new ones. I personally only want to be around people that support me. Not sabotage me.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
Like others have said, sometimes you have to get rid of these friends and get new ones. I personally only want to be around people that support me. Not sabotage me.
Not to mention that there are a lot of non-alcoholic folks that like to have the occasional drink that don't understand alcoholics. And don't understand how addiction works and how there is basically no control once the beast is awakened.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a housemate who was trying to talk me into smoking a joint when I was just about to get my license back from a DUI. I told him it stays in your bloodstream a long time. I could get pulled over tomorrow for something totally unrelated and it would still be in my bloodstream and there was no way I was going to risk losing my license again. He kept running it in front of my face trying to coerce me. What an idiot.

This is a guy who screwed up his back in a drunk driving incident 10 years ago and he still drinks and drives. Obviously not someone to listen to. I kick myself for even spending time with him. He thinks he's being witty, but it's like the proverbial drunk guy at the party dancing around with a lampshade on his head.

No reasonable person is frustrated because someone else isn't imbibing. That's a red flag. Actually, it's a violent magenta flag.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Huh?

What a funkbucket!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Huh?

Renaldo, are you in California? They just passed rhat law about THC. I know if they pull you over and you have BAC of even 0.01, it's a second DUI. But while on probation, do they randomly take your blood without reasonable suspicion too? Or only if you're obviously high?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I am the only person who reads this and thinks "my my aren't we high and mighty about people who act exactly like we did..." some of us years ago, some of us months ago, some of us days ago...and yeah, some of us hours ago. Because you don't have to be high or drunk to totally NOT get where someone else is at and say things out of complete ignorance. Not rude ignorance, but truly not having a clue.

The only way to combat this ever is with truth. And if they can't hear it, that's fine, so be honest with yourself. Why point the "delusional idiot" finger at someone else?

"Why do people in bars expect everyone there to be drinking?"

"Why did that guy I was dancing with and grinding on in my skimpy little dress think I was interested in having sex with him"

"Why does my spouse, who I drank with like a fish, and abused for a decade, not kiss my feet and think I'm the best thing since sliced bread because I got into recovery?"

Um, sorry...WHO are we calling delusional?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HereIAm321 View Post
Renaldo, are you in California? They just passed rhat law about THC. I know if they pull you over and you have BAC of even 0.01, it's a second DUI. But while on probation, do they randomly take your blood without reasonable suspicion too? Or only if you're obviously high?
Yes, I am in CA. I don't know what a BAC of THC of .01 translates to in terms of consumption, but it sounds pretty small. I hadn't heard of that law at all. Thanks for the heads up.

I guess what you're saying is that if you have any THC in your system, you're toast. Same thing with alcohol for 2 years after the offense.

No, I don't have random blood draws and I don't have to report to anyone.

Spending time with someone who you wouldn't otherwise just because they're offering to smoke some pot with you is something I'm not tempted to do, and I don't buy it myself.

Can you imagine getting pulled over for a broken tail light completely sober, the cop searching your car and finding a small quantity of pot and drug testing you and finding you have THC in your system from a week ago? But how do they know when you smoked it?

Seriously though, how many people get in accidents from pot?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This might be a friend that you do other things with that dont involve drinks so that way you can still be friends but not have to watch them drink.