Notices

New here

Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here (or I just registered, I've been a lurker for awhile) and need some advice on how to start new life in recovery employment-wise with two DUIs. I've been sober for 2 years and am active in AA.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Heather! Congrats on 2 years of sobriety! I think you'll find lots of additional support here on SR!

Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience/wisdom on the employment front.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Heather and welcome!

2 years sober is a major accomplishment - congratulations! I've never had a DUI (pure luck only) and I know there are different laws state-to-state as far as charges, how long it stays on your record, etc....

It seems to me that even with those points against you, having 2 years of sobriety should count for a lot. The job market isn't all that great, but you'll find something if you keep trying!

Glad you're here -
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Heather Congrats on 2years clean! As far as the job situation, look for something that does not involve any operation of anything the move's. They can't to my knowledge turn you down for a job if you are applying for a position that you don't have to operate any type of moving vehicle.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Heather

Welcome to SR. Guess I am in the lucky camp and never faced a DUI/DWI charge but have a 24 hour suspension on my driving record forever , however it was not a criminal offense here at that time.

I can guess maybe someone in your local AA may know someone who can be helpful and aware of the local laws and process. Maybe ask your sponsor or another person you trust.

I would think if the job did not require you to drive as part of the job , it may not be an issue but some jobs will require a security clearance whether you drive or not and this may show up as a red flag.

Great work on 2 years and hope your job search goes well.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Heather, if I may ask...how long ago were the DUIs? I had one 5 years ago. My lawyer told me at the time you can get them expunged after a certain period of time. It varies state to state. Thus far, I have never been turned down for a job because of my DUI. I have no idea why, but it's never come up. However, I was obsessed it would and generally had a speech ready to own up to the terrible lapse in judgement. I also often would reveal the offense to the recruiters I worked with and they always said, if the hiring manager likes you, you generally have the opportunity to talk with them.

I think the big differentiator is if the second one was a felony or a misdemeanor.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going to elaborate a bit since I received some resonses so quickly (thank you so much).

I've been sober since 1/7/2011. I am 38 years old. I was a teacher with a masters in special education when I got my first DUI in Florida. I lost my job teaching (I had just moved to a new district and was on a probationary period. I did not, however, lose my license) and lost all self respect and confidence. I continued to drink and my depression, anxiety, etc. intensified until I was pretty much what most might consider a lost cause. I had been to rehab twice, hadn't been able to return to teaching due to my fear of...basically failing I guess, and had been investigated by CPS (a position I NEVER thought I'd be in). I had be in the hospital 3 times with BAC levels OVER .5 and had been told that I was lucky to have made it each time. In January of 2011 it all just broke apart and I got a second DUI. I checked myself into rehab for the 3rd time and have been sober since. I think I simply knew it was try, try, and continue trying until I made some significant sober time...then continue trying or I'd die either by alcohol poisoning or my own hand.

I now have an 11-month-old baby, a happy 11-year-old daughter, a happy 13-year-old son, and a husband that sees a future for us. I have been trying to get up the courage to get another teaching job. It's the only career I've ever wanted (or really been good at). I applied to have my teaching license reinstated as it had expired two years ago. They denied my application today. We are moving to a new state at the end of March and unless I agree to stay in the state in which I had submitted my application for two years under a probationary period I really have no options.

I feel slightly broken knowing that all of that fear of trying again was warranted. I don't feel on the verge of relapse, I feel like it's impossible to move on from what I did/went through. I am, in no way, saying getting sober wasn't worth it (although I admit I DID have about 2 minutes of hard pity partying in my head after getting the phone call) I'm asking how does one move on? How can I start a new career when I'm almost 40 with two DUIs on my record? I can't return to school as I'm still paying off my masters in education and can't afford it. However, I can't use my current degrees. I feel like every moment of hard work before I went down the road I was on was for nothing now. Am I being short-sighted? Is there something I'm missing?

I forgot to mention that I put in probably almost 100 applications at different agencies for employment, including gas stations, Walmart, etc. before deciding to try for another teaching job. No bites.

I appreciate any advice, even if it's to suck it up and stop feeling sorry for myself. It's been a long day.

Oh, and the second one was also a midemeanor. I received the first in Florida and the second in Alabama. The first had MUCH MORE SEVERE ramifications in terms of restitution (i.e. fines, SA evaluation and/or counseling, probation, community service, DUI courses, MADD course, etc.). So, no felonies.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am sure it varies from employer to employer and state to state, but where I work it's illegal and against policy to discriminate against someone for any past convictions unless they directly interfere with the job. So for example you probably wouldn't want to apply to be a truck driver. I do know that jobs are tough to come by fore ANYONE lately, so best of luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So, the good news is that you don't have a felony conviction. And also you have a masters in Ed. I would target jobs that list this as a requirement because there is likely to be a much smaller pool of applicants. Also, public schools are likely to be more bureaucratic IMO and far more likely to consider the DUIs. Have you considered places like Huntington? Learning centers are hot now and their franchised so you probably won't hit up against the hard and fast rules that public institutions have in place.

All you need is that first job. You'll get one and be on your way. Hang in there - I know the shame and anxiety that comes with job hunting with DUIs on your record. Just remember you're not that person anymore and be ready to convince a hiring manager of that.

And dont shoot me but...have you networked? Throwing applications out have a much lower success rate than networking into a job.