Notices

Sober and scared

Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober and scared

I want to go to an AA meeting but I'm so emotional I will start crying. I basically swell up with tears hourly.

Can someone give me some advice? Please.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go ahead and cry....Lot's of people do....It's a nice way of letting things out...Don't be surprised if someone hands you a box of tissue.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Sup. I was very emotional when I was newly sober - I don't think there's any way around it. We're learning to live in a whole new way, and it is scary at first. Things will keep getting easier and better as you go along.

Congratulations on deciding to reach out for help. You can do this.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Sup89!

Congratulations on getting sober! I know what you mean about being teary.... I felt that way for several days after getting sober. It's totally normal, from what I've seen around here (a lot of people talk about crying through their first AA meeting, too).

If you want to go to a meeting, is there someone who could go with you (a friend, relative, whatever?) You could also google the AA hotline phonenumber for your area and talk to someone, find out about the meetings, etc.....

Things really do get better..... Just try to take it a day at a time (or an hour at a time) - you can do this!:ghug3
Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll tell you something I saw in a meeting last night. A lady was there visiting from New Jersey...She had 37 years of sobriety. She read the Promises at the end of the meeting...And she said she always cries when she reads them...She cried through the whole reading....It was beautiful.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

It's funny how sobriety seems so scary at first! Looking back, getting plastered at a bar by myself (I'm a female) or driving drunk didn't seem scary to me one bit! It's the amazing alcoholic mind working it's magic!

Hang in there! Congratulations on taking the first step! Things will get better. And don't allow a few tears to stand in the way of you and AA. It's tough at first. It might even be tough for a while. But it's worth it!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Crying in AA meetings has been some of the most helpful tear-shedding I've ever done. Because the people there get it. And care. It's way better than the crying alone in the spare bedroom feeling like I'm the loneliest person in the world.

Just go. Don't worry about crying. It's ok.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Sup

I am another AA member and yup , I have cried and shed tears about my own story and other peoples stories. I have also laughed, smiled and felt like i belonged and people understood ...and sometimes all in the same meeting.

I have never seen anyone be anything but helpful and supportive at my local meetings when people cry as nearly everyone in that room has been there before.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all.
It's a lot scarier than I thought. Fear is everywhere.
I've been a drinker for 20 plus years and it was a very slow progression. I've wanted to quit for years and did over the summer for a while but still kept the same friends.
Bad idea.
Then in October my mother died and I was drunk until last weekend.
Im done for good. I know it and that is scary too.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

when it was clear that I had to quit, I was really scared too. I had been drinking my entire adult life, before I was an adult even!

if somebody had told me how much easier my life would be, how I would still have fun, and that I after a while I wouldn't obsess about alcohol & drugs anymore.....I wouldn't have believed them.

Well....I'm gonna tell you that anyway. Because it is all true 9 yrs later.

Keep comin' around here, best wishes to you
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Take a look at this site Sup.....They talk about fear....It's very normal. It also answers a lot of questions you may have about your first meeting...Any questions...Ask.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I cry all the time, and I am not ashamed. I spent a lot of time drowning my emotions in booze, and now I am grateful to be able to feel. if you want to go to AA go-don't let anything stop you. It is, in my experience, the most welcoming place ever, and I too can attest that I have cried through one or two (or more :p) meetings
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Hi sup,please dont let fear keep you from going to AA.I dont think anyone walks into their first meeting full of the joys of spring,I certainly didnt!

You will be warmly welcomed,I like the saying,there are no strangers in AA,only friends you havent met yet.

As has already been said,It is a good idea to call the helpline and be put in touch with someone in your area. I was met outside my first meeting by a lady 9years sober,today she is my sponsor.

I wish you well.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I cried for at least my first week of meetings. It's ok and actually more than ok. That's what the fellowship is there for; to support you during good times and bad. Just remember-you are not alone.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Sup and welcome.

Yes, I can totally relate to the crying and the scary feeling too.

You will find so much help and support here!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="sober4metoday;3765010"]It's funny how sobriety seems so scary at first! Looking back, getting plastered at a bar by myself (I'm a female) or driving drunk didn't seem scary to me one bit! It's the amazing alcoholic mind working it's magic!

Hang in there! Congratulations on taking the first step! Things will get better. And don't allow a few tears to stand in the way of you and AA. It's tough at first. It might even be tough for a while. But it's worth it![/QUOTE

this is soo true!! when i look back on the things ive done for alchool !!! huney!!! i was brave!! haha going as far as comprimising my intergity.. and my self worth.. so whats so scary about living in my worthiness today?!?!?

sup.. im on day 5 and i cry by reading some of these post on SR ( im 6'5 and a solid 230lb male mind you) so trust me i relate.. lol ... but get it out... shame and regret are not welcome hea .. *hugs*
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Sup89,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a hard time.

I was at a campfire meeting outdoors once. A guy arrived late on his motorcycle and sat down. When it came his turn to talk, he spoke of how his wife had died and how he was going through the worst time in his life. He pushed his glasses aside and wiped the tears from his eyes with his finger. The woman next to him held his hand as he wept uncontrollably.

No one looked askance at them.

I would say don't worry about it. We're not as alone as we think.

If you're crying, it means you're in touch with your emotions. It beats staring at the wall not being able to cry.

For myself, I find that crying releases endorphins and I feel really good afterwards, but everybody's different.

If you want a safe place to cry without people making fun of you or thinking you're weird, you'd be hard pressed to find a safer place.

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the great responses.
I went to my first AA meeting. I didn't talk much but all the people there were just like me. The same story as mine. I'm stunned but relieved.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's awesome...I think in the beginning it's better just to listen. Good for you and keep coming back!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sup89 View Post
Thanks for all the great responses.
I went to my first AA meeting. I didn't talk much but all the people there were just like me. The same story as mine. I'm stunned but relieved.
And soon you will be amazed !! I hope all the newcomers read this thread.

All the best.

Bob R