Notices

I'm New

Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm New

Hello everybody.

I'm an adult child of alcoholics looking for help. For the past two years, I've been pretending that my mother and father's problems with alcohol do not effect me. I've come to a point in my life where I can not longer pretend. I looked into going to support groups for family members of alcoholics, but it looks pretty intimidating. So, I found this forum and thought it would be perfect.

Both of my parents are alcoholics, although my mother is much worse than my father. They hang around people who make it easy for them to justify drinking too much. I'm in college about an hour from my home. When I went home for Christmas this year, I realized I can't keep ignoring their alcoholism. I have an extremely supportive boyfriend and he is an absolute saint, but I can't keep putting so much pressure on him. I just went onto Amazon to find some books that might be helpful and I ordered "Perfect Daughters" by Robert J. Ackerman. I am a perfectionist and put a lot of pressure on myself, so I'm hoping it will be helpful to me. I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I need to acknowledge the alcoholism and try to heal myself.

I hope everyone had a happy new year and I look forward to chatting with all of you. Thanks in advance; I'm excited to learn all that I can.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome !

I grew up with an alcoholic father, and just recently learned of the impact that toxic environment has on me as an adult.

Can you see a counselor/therapist at your college, or outside of it ? That is what I would recommend based on my experience...

Best of luck !
Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
HI, bubblepop. Welcome to SR!

Sorry to hear about your situation, but you found the great place with a lot of understanding and support. There is also thread for friends and family of alcoholics where you can find useful advice and information from people with the similar experience.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Take care of yourself.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BubblePop

Glad to have you with us

I think you may get a lot out of this forum too:
Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D