Notices

One thing I really LOVE about SR

Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Night owl

One thing I really LOVE about SR

I've been thinking this for awhile, finally thought I'd post it. One of things I just love the most about SR that I have seen happen so many times, even in my short time here, is how quickly the "newby" turns around to lend a hand to the next newby in line. One day a post for help, a very short time later a post to help another in need.

This is the stuff the media doesn't report on. This is the stuff that restores my faith in humanity and gives me hope!

Well done, all!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very nicely said Lyoness!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you pinpointed a very positive and beautiful thing... Alcoholics aren't completely selfish or wrapped up in their addictions all the time. Often, we are very sensative and compassionate even in our worst times. I, for one, know that my struggles have allowed me to be there for many others because I truly can empathize. I see that a lot here; and yes it warms my heart too! Even people who are struggling will reach out to encourage and console others who come to SR. Pretty cool.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very true Lyoness.
I was thinking too that some of the nicest and kindest people I have met have been recovering addicts. In many ways I feel blessed by my addiction
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've only been on for day or so but I do like helping people, I think it helps to focus on other people rather than just yourself
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
I think you pinpointed a very positive and beautiful thing... Alcoholics aren't completely selfish or wrapped up in their addictions all the time. Often, we are very sensative and compassionate even in our worst times. I, for one, know that my struggles have allowed me to be there for many others because I truly can empathize. I see that a lot here; and yes it warms my heart too! Even people who are struggling will reach out to encourage and console others who come to SR. Pretty cool.
I agree. I think a lot of us with addiction issues are often very sensitive and compassionate and have experienced so much pain, all of which can fuel our addictions. Because of all that we want to reach out, help prevent someone else's suffering if we can.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice thread, Lyoness.

I think by encouraging others we are also at some level encouraging ourselves to stick with Recovery. Whether we know that or not I think that phenomenon has got to be happening.

Plus they say: If you want to really learn something, then teach it.

It's all good!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Nice thread, Lyoness.

I think by encouraging others we are also at some level encouraging ourselves to stick with Recovery. Whether we know that or not I think that phenomenon has got to be happening.

Plus they say: If you want to really learn something, then teach it.

It's all good!!
I definitely feel that! I think that it actually helps us to rewire our brains because we are learning and teaching it, writing it and reading it. Awesome!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Great post! It really does help to know so many are going through this together and are willing to take some time out of their busy lives to try to make it easier for someone else. I've noticed on weak days I need to read more, and strong days I can be there to respond more. Each and every person here has helped someone and that's a powerful thing.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

From Bill's story in the Big Book of AA

"I soon found that when all other measure failed, work with another alcoholic would save the day. Many times I have gone to my old hospital in despair. On talking to a man there, I would be amazingly lifted up and set on my feet. It is a design for living that works in rough going."
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice one Lyoness. Cool. Plus cool location, Orion. Is it near sirius.. nice post there. you hang in there.
dub
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Night owl

Thanks, you too!

Orion spur is one of the spiral arms of our Milky Way galaxy, where our solar system is. And Sirius is near the constellation Orion, the brightest star in our sky after the sun--cool! So many amazing things out there, stars, galaxies, nebulae--beautiful and amazing!