Notices

Shattered

Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shattered

I did not know that I had HSV before it was too late. I never showed or felt any symptoms of the virus. I dated a girl; let’s call her Eve, for just under a year. We decided we were better as just friends. I haven’t spent a holiday with any of my family members for over seven years, so Eve’s family has pretty much taken me under their wings. I eat dinner with someone in the family every other night. I really feel accepted as one of them.
Eve and I started out as roommates, turned into a couple, and still remain close friends and roommates even after a year of us not dating each other anymore. Since then she has dated a really nice guy who, like Eve, is graduating from college early next year.
Until Thanksgiving, I had been a binge drinker three times a week for the past 5 years. I have replaced drinking with daily work outs and have noticed a vast amount of physical and mental improvements.
The first 2 weeks of sobriety were rough, but with the help of SR and Eve, time passed and I’m at a point where just smelling alcohol brings back negative feelings that help me to remain sober.
On Thursday, Eve gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. I was up all night waiting with her folks and grandparents in the hospital while she was in labor. She is the first great grandchild in the family, which of course only adds to everyone’s excitement. I received a text from Eve telling me that the doctors are holding the baby in the hospital for a few days because there’s a chance that the virus passed to her and that it might have spread to her brain. Eve asked me for privacy ever since I first found out that I had it, so no one outside of us and the doctors know anything about what is really happening.
One of the biggest reasons why I became sober was that I wanted the baby to grow up in an alcohol-free home. I really didn’t care what happened to me personally from my drinking, I’m not sure if I could have stayed sober without knowing that a baby was coming.
My mom passed from brain cancer when I was a freshman in high school. Three years later my father was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I developed a slight case of PTSD from my time spent overseas in the military.
My heart is full of sadness; I have been worried about something happening to the baby since Eve told me she was pregnant. Other than being there for Eve, I’m not sure what I can do.
Drowning my worries away with booze is the furthest thing from my mind.
More than anything in the world, I just want that baby to be healthy.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

So sorry for your awful present worries, sadness, and challenges, buickbeast. I have every hope for the health of the baby girl. I hope the next days of medical precautions bring about good news.

Such a sad and heartfelt time for all. I wish for you and all those you love the very best outcomes. Be brave. Thanks for sharing such difficult times. Good for you for reaching out. Be well.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Robby =)
We should be hearing something back from the doctors today, it would be great to ring in the new year with some great news from them
Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes for Eve and her baby BB.

D
Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi buickbeast. I'm glad you came here to talk about it - and it's such good news to know you won't be drinking over this.

I hope you've heard something positive by now - I'll be praying for you, Eve, and baby.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awww.... Praying for you guys. Congrats on the baby and congrats on not drinking over this it has to be very hard. You'll make it. The baby will too - she's in good hands.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Best wishes to you. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry. Well, hopefully the news will be good. Love and positive energy is on its way. Please let us know the prognosis.