Notices

How long before the urges stop

Old 12-27-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long before the urges stop

Its been 324 days without a cigarette and I still crave many, many times a day. Now during these darned holidays its been really bad - not craving a smoke more often but the cravings are even stronger. Its almost like the day after I had my last in February. Will it ever stop?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am still smoking, less than usual I suppose and not right away in the morning anymore so I can't speak from experience on knowing what it's like to quit and the withdrawal symptoms that go with it. I woke up late today and felt like I "needed" a cigarette at around 6:30pm. I'm sure you don't get as powerful cravings as you did in the begining. I am somewhat surprised that you still crave everyday many times a day, I thought that was eventually supposed to go away.

You should be proud that you have gone this long and are still going strong. I would do a lot to get to where you are at and one day I will hopefully get there.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
Its been 324 days without a cigarette and I still crave many, many times a day. Now during these darned holidays its been really bad - not craving a smoke more often but the cravings are even stronger. Its almost like the day after I had my last in February. Will it ever stop?
Have you quit using all forms of nicotine?
A year of cravings as frequently as you are describing is not usual for most people. I would be interested to see if you have checked with the "whyquit.org" site, they may have some suggestions for you.

For me the first few days are when I had frequent "craves" but after day 3 or 4 it was much less. I stopped drinking as well as smoking, I also tried to remove as many "triggers" that I could at first. I lowered my caffeine intake by switching to "half Caff" and decaf when available.

Check with the why quit folks and see what they think.

Please Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks SeekSobriety. Yes I quit cold turkey all forms of nicotine. I though it unusual that I should still be craving so often and now again so strongly. I know most smokers will say this but I REALLY loved smoking.

I will check out whyquit and let you know how I make out.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! It's only been just past 30 days for me now, quitting cold turkey.

I don't know if I could go over 300 days and still have too many urges and not give in. But I guess I'll find out as time goes by.

Still have occasional moments where I 'forgot' I quit, and I think I'm going for a smoke, then I have to make a new decision, all over again, it feel like.

I am hoping that at least lessens.

I tried Chantix twice before and failed at sticking with my target date.
I never used patches or gum or ECigs. I only smoke Marlboro lights, so I doubt I would ever have been satisfied with any ECigs. Seems like some novelty that wears off too soon, some have told me who tried them.

From what some who quit some years ago, they tell me they still have moments where they get an urge. Sounds like something that comes as part of the price to pay to have to remain abstinent.

I hope the urges lessen for you and you keep making the right choice not to have just that 'first' one. If you don't have the first one, you can't get to the second one. And it's almost a sure bet, if you DO have that first one, you WILL have that second one, and you know what comes next.

So which is the lesser of two evils? Dealing with some occasional urges?

Or would someone choose to spend a lot of money (all over again)...deal with morning coughing, as I did....increase the risk of any other existing medical conditions to worsen.

I know one thing. When and if I do have those urges, I know others get them, too, so I'm not alone. And neither are you! I wish the best for you.

Here......

...have some of my popcorn instead of a cigarette!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

TTBABP, 324 days no smoking? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. I'm 6 months, 23 days without a cigarette and still get the urge frequently also. Was recently talking to someone who quit 8 years ago and he still gets the urge. He said he just lives with it.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

God, I was hoping mine would disappear after a few weeks...?

Shame, as I'm sooo weak-willed. Still over a week now and doing ok at the moment....

Keep going everyone x
Old 12-29-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jeni

Don't let my experience discourage you. I am sure we are all different. I'm kinda of a whiny baby sometimes too so you have to take my experience with a grain of salt. Believe me its not as bad as the first two or three months (except the day I started this thread) I just can't believe its still as often and strong as it is.

PLEASE do not give in you can stay quit!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh I'm still going strong (ish)...

I'm not at all convinced I will win this battle but so far I'm hanging in there....
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I quit 5 months ago. I smoked a pack a day, give or take, for about 30 years. I do get cravings sometimes....sometimes they are really powerful, to the point that I can smell it, feel myself pulling it into my lungs, visualize myself smoking, etc...but I just ride it out. I rather like getting through something really hard, but I'm weird like that. When I feel a craving coming on, I'm like "bring it, b*tch". Weird, I know.

As much as the addicted part of my brain tries to convince me that I miss it...the truth is, smoking is super gross. I love that I don't smell like that, that I'm not giving my money to big tobacco, that I have recently run a 5k (couldn't even run .5 mile before), and that I am not being controlled. Even when the cravings come so big, they could knock me over, I do not smoke. It's not any different than my alcohol addiction, "not an option" is my mantra.

My cravings have definitely lessened just in 5 months, but they still come. When they do, I just put on a cute pair of big girl panties and carry on. What other option do I have?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post soberlicious!

Love your attitude.

I got some lovely perfume at Christmas and every time I get a craving at the moment I put some on. Just reminds me that I can smell super gorgeous, or like a pile of cigarette butts....yuk.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It's true!!! I now refuse to tarnish my Chanel with the smell of cigarette smoke...it's blasphemy lol

I get compliments now on how I smell..."OMG you smell so good what are you wearing?!" Marlboro Light just doesn't exact the same response.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess we are a lot alike T. :-) Just wandered over to this thread and see you quit smoking, too! I have not yet quit, though I want to. Congratulations!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Soberlicious-that made me laugh out loud!!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey LSNP - glad to see you thinking about quitting smoking. Just like with alcohol - it took me a really long time to commit to quit.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Man, I really feel for you. I quit cold turkey, completely, and had bad cravings for 3 days. Then, emotional cravings for 2 weeks. Then, occasional emotional cravings for 6 months. But over 300 days? Maybe you could look into Wellbutrin or something? I hope that doesn't offend you. I just think that's a bit worrisome.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks GraceBliss - not offended at all. I would love anything to work as I know its really strange to still feel like this. I tried Wellbutrin years ago unfortunately it had the opposite effect on me - I was anxious and tense and crying all the time.

I think I need a little therapy for MANY reasons. I have to think about it though. Thanks for your concern.