Notices

Hello all

Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all

I have been reading posts on SR for about 4 months now. I would like to thank all of you for your insight, experience, and advice. A little bit about me....I’ve been an alcoholic since I was 16. All my friends growing up were alcoholics so I thought nothing of the amount of alcohol we would consume on a typical weekend. Looking back on it now, I showed all the signs of an alcoholic early on; hiding beers so that when they ran out I would have more, drinking so much I would pass out and urinate in my sleep, and the craving...Recently, I started getting honest with myself about how much booze I was consuming. I am 30 now, and feel that living in a perpetual state of intoxication is just not the best way to go through life. Also, I have a family and would hate to end up with cirrhosis or some other disease which would end my life prematurely.
I have had many failed attempts to quit over the years; usually I knew that it was only going to be temporary, because I was involved in some type of physical training regimen. However, my drinking has escalated over the last few years. I quit for 6 weeks in August. I was going to AA meetings, but started getting tired of them, as I just couldn't relate to many of the stories told (losing everything, hitting rock bottom). I know I'll probably catch some flak from the AA heads here, but I read the big book from time to time, and get a lot out of it. My father is in AA, and it works great for him; meetings just aren't for me. After those 6 weeks of sobriety, I ended up getting some beer after a terrible experience at a public event where my kids were driving me absolutely nuts!! I left knowing I was going to drink that day. My AV's favorite line is "You can handle it...don’t fool yourself, you can’t quit for the rest of your life!!" Over the course of the next couple of months, I knew what I was doing was wrong, and knew that I would eventually go back to sobriety because it is the only way I can have true happiness and fulfillment in my life. I ended up quitting again on November 26 after a Sunday full of drinking. I am learning from my mistakes, learning my triggers (crazy kids, stress), and learning how to deal with emotions like regular people do, instead of numbing myself with alcohol. I have always been religious, so I know God is a big part of my recovery, and I ask him for his guidance and strength every morning. I also believe in free will, and know the choice to drink is my own to make. Today I choose life.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Glad to see you here!

Yes my alcoholism became progressively worse as time went on. I needed more and more and my binges lasted longer.

So glad I am off that roller coaster. Life is still tough, but doing it sober is much better.

And I agree, I have a choice.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your sober time & welcome to SR BIFFF

D
Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Bifff! SR really helped me get on my feet after a lifetime of drinking. I continued on into my 50's. I'm glad that at 30 you're seeing what needs to happen. You'll be saving yourself from a lifetime of misery and despair. We're glad to have you here.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind responses. I ended up registering and posting for the first time yesterday becuase I was feeling the urge to just go out and have a few drinks. Waking up clear headed with the ability to do whatever I want today is much better than a lazy, hurtin, and depressed day on the couch.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((BIFFF)) - Welcome to SR and congrats on your sober time! Though I did AA for a while, my "recovery program" now is a little of this, a little of that, and a LOT of SR I found out that when I really wanted recovery, I could hear just what I needed to, from just about anywhere/anyone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great that you are sure you can quit on your own using your own free will, and won't act on your thoughts again that it's a good idea to go have a few drinks.

It's the better path.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

If you choose AA, try working the program of recovery--the 12 steps.

Rational Recovery
Life Ring
Women for Sobriety
AVRT
SMART

Are methods that are also available! Each one has their own website.

Or SR works!

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bifff x
Old 12-23-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Biff! My recovery plan is very similar to Amy's I have taken pieces of different programs that work for me, and use SR as my biggest support. Check out Anna's books on recovery and spirituality if you enjoy reading, it is a good way to fill that time when you may have had a drink.