Notices

Hey,

Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey,

So yea, Im obviously new and have not had time to explore the site. Kicking this drinking thing and looking for answers, and or helpful advice.

Im slowly noticing my friends arent as close as I thought. Problem is Ive lost alot of control recently with my anger and its landed me in a constant downward spiral. Violence and court dates.Sure its fun to do 158mph on your bike drunk. But realizing how I put others and myself at risk is just a dumb move.

Ive been noticing my friends havnt been calling as much and have kinda left me for sick, or "that guy" syndrome. As my wife pointed out, I really never had anything in common with any of my friends besides a couple of beers and riding.(motorcycles/Atvs). Dont get me wrong these guys are funny and we have a great time, but mainly only when were drinking. I think my drunken actions with anger has made me the cast away and they really just want to void the whole situation. Hard part is feeling like "that guy". Thinking I should just let it go and let time decide what im gonna do. Maybe open up for different hobbies. Im sure someone here has some advice.

Got into some trouble recently, and Ive been ordered to attend AA meetings every day for 2 yrs. Never really noticed how much I drank until I quit. Just wondering whats next. Thanx for reading my vent
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Sonic, welcome to SR How long have you been sober?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey what's up Sonic, welcome to SR.
One of the hobbies I picked up while quitting was working out again. I would go nuts if I wasn't able to work out and it's my new way of unwinding after a hard day. Waking up with a better body beats waking up after a night of drinking any day.
Also, since I can think a lot more clearly, I've found myself being outdoors more frequently. One of the hardest things has been finding a new circle of friends, I've come to realize that the only reason why my old friends and I hung out was to get wasted.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi GirlFromCo, Ive been sober for 3weeks now. Thank you for the welcome.

Whats up Buick, Working out? Havnt tried that in a long time. Im normally in good physical shape being constantly outdoors. Although I could use some new anger aggression techniques instead of wrenching. Good idea, thanx. Finding new friends looks like the newer task. ReLearning my love for riding is definetly a new task since now all I do is associate it with drinking. Thinking maybe the next goal is to go competition. Cant associate that with drinking lol.

After my meeting last night, I noticed all my friends cars parked on my street. I wondered what was going on. Texted a buddy to find out and he told me they were doing the annual xmas party. Funny how I had no idea.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

Right now I am "That Guy" also.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Being "that guy" in that situation isn't necessarily a bad thing. Make new friends...better ones. Your life will quickly change for the better by associating with better people, and chances are you will gain more respect and admiration from all corners for the right choices that you make in life.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you go to meetings for the next two years everyday I am sure you will meet tons of new friends all with a common goal that want nothing from you except sobriety...

90% of my friends are in the program... These are real friends, not just "drinking buddies".

Welcome to SR!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on week 3! Like I said in another post sometimes you have to dump the drinking friends. I surrounded myself with people that cared about ME.

I also went to daytox which was a day program for people trying to quit their addictions. It was wonderful and I learned a few things about myself and ways to cope when the urge strikes me.

I don't want to go back to what I was.