Notices

Losing the desire for the drink...

Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing the desire for the drink...

Hi All,
Just a few words on my first 8 days committed to sobriety. Despite having some of those momentary thoughts about considering to resume drinking but in a moderate fashion or convincing myself that there is nothing wrong with the occasional binge or night of 'blowing off steam', for the most part I haven't looked back on my decision to end my fun yet destructive love affair with alcohol. Made it through our office Xmas party last night stone sober in spite of there being so much booze and observing people clearly enjoying themselves through indulgence. A lot of people asked why I didn't have my usual beer in hand (or more commonly both hands) and seemed disappointed that I wasn't about to get completely loaded as usual. I handled it cooly and told them it was 'Dr's orders' which is for the most part true - essentially instructed to limit to just 1-2 drinks per day maximum for health reasons. Sounds very lame but it was cool to see that I could be equally funny and charming without a blood alcohol level of .20. What was even more gratifying was showing up for work this morning, on-time, clear headed and able to function. I know it has only been 8 days and I certainly have a long, challenging journey ahead, but I must say, I'm starting to like the new sober me!! Just wanted to share something positive:-)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Love the use of "drs orders" will keep that in mind for the parties coming up....
Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SB
Congratulations on your sober days. Glad to hear you are enjoying it and yourself without alcohol!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on 8 days and getting through the party...not an easy task.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have the right frame of mind to make this an enjoyable journey. It really is psychological and if you can hardwire your brain into correctly believing that there are absolutely no benefits to alcohol whatsoever, then the desire vanishes.

No desire, no nagging voices in the head..Good luck in continuing to keep that frame of mind.

Just one thing...never EVER question the best decision you have made in your life. It is the ONLY way to live.