Notices

How long did you wait before you quit smoking?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long did you wait before you quit smoking?

I’m on day 17 sober. I certainly don’t feel ready to give up smoking yet, I have University exams coming up and allot of assignments to do before that. Also I’m still adjusting to not drinking … these are all excuses, of course, but they have a little substance to them, I hope!
I’ve set January 22nd as my quit date; this is when I have my final exam. Then I have four days off before I’m back to work, so I’ll be able to get that really terrible few days over without interacting with anyone!
So when did others quit? Have you quit smoking or carried on? Did you never smoke at all? I’ve always seen fags and booze as good company for one another, smoking reminds me of being a waste-of-space, sprawled-out drunk. I’m expecting an uphill struggle, but I’m excited to be free of it. Plus then I can begin an exercise programme and maybe put some weight on!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit both at once - but my drinking was tied in with my smoking and vice versa.

I was always able to put the smokes down without much effort, so it was fine for me.

Others find the double whammy too hard.

Obviously, from a health standpoint, the sooner you can the better - but I think it's an individual thing

D
Old 12-16-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I still smoke. I know people with 30 years in recovery that still smoke. I don't really think it's that big of a thing for me or anyone I know. My advice has always been that if you quit one serious addiction then you can address the nicotine one when you are ready. Not on-top of addressing another one.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 of not drinking Sobero and plan to quit smoking as well. Unfortunately I bought a carton of cigarettes the day before I decided I needed to stop drinking
Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I waited until I hit 130 days so as to not put my sobriety at risk. Now 22 days off the cigarettes. ID suggest you wait until you feel ok. Getting off the booze and breaking that cycle is a challenge and a hugh achievement in itself.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Five years.

Then again at six lol. Been really really really needing a cig for the last week. Last night came (not all that) close (to be fair) to going and getting a pack.

Damn cigs.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I waited 5 months. I had no intention of quitting anytime soon, but a month ago, I just decided I was done. With smoking, though, I don't tell myself I can never have a cigarette again. lol If I want one, I will have one. However, I haven't had the desire. It's just not there. I'll take what I can get and enjoy it while it lasts
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was a recent light smoker.

I smoked for approximately 3 months after I stopped drinking and switched to Swedish Snus for close to 2 months to wean off smokes.

On the snus, someone gave me some advice, if I wanted a smoke, have one. So I bought a pack about a month after I quit the smokes and lit one up.

It was beyond repulsive...it was positively disgusting...as gross as I remembered before I smoked daily. Gross!!!! ( Yay!)

Tomorrow I will be three weeks off the snus and nicotine free.

Snus doubles your chance of pancreatic cancer, so that`s why I quit and also, I don`t want to lose my free will to an addiction of any kind.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit smoking before I quit drinking. Crazy right? I haven't smoked in almost 8 years. New Year's resolution from 2004 that I actually kept. Now if I can do that with drinking...

Last edited by terribob; 12-17-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Lack of Coffee
Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on the tenth day with no booze and the eighth with no smokes. It was an accident in some ways, I got really sick and couldn't smoke. By the time I was feeling better I knew I was through the physical withdrawls of nicotine already so I just decided not to go back. It's very helpful for me actually, although I can tell that for some it would be the opposite. Not smoking, not drinking.... I'm a totally new person!